Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pappy's Choice Seasoning for Tri-Tip Santa Maria BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pappy's Choice Seasoning for Tri-Tip Santa Maria BBQ

Anyone try this? I've heard some good things about it and am considering ordering some in to try since it's not available in stores here.

I used Pappy's for a lot of different things, I think it's a great seasoning. Be warned it is salty, so use lightly.

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
      Sgt Tyree commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I have some MMD and S&G mixed up but was looking for a commercial seasoning that was a bit different from the rest of the usual suspects. I had heard about the salty side of it and was intrigued by someone's description of it that the aroma reminded them of old fashioned meat markets. What did you use it on?

• BloomHybrid
      BloomHybrid commented
      Editing a comment
      I mainly use it for potatoes and burgers, but I have also used it on steaks and chicken (whole and thighs).

Mix your own, you get what you know and know what you get ......

Comment

I use Suzy Q's. Very good.

Comment

I grew up in Fresno CA where Pappy's originates from. All I knew growing up was Pappy's. Since moving out of my parents home 25 years ago, I have tried what seems like a million different rubs on tri-tip. After all of the experimentation, I find myself using Pappy's on 90+% of the tri-tips I cook today. It is GOOD, and the people that I cook for give nothing but compliments. I say getcha a bottle and give it a whirl

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
          Sgt Tyree commented
          Editing a comment
          rwalters ; Thanks. If it's been around over 25 years it must have something good going for it. !'ll put in an order today. Maybe some tri-tips for the bowl games.

I have been using Oak ridge BBQ's Santa Maria seasoning on my tri tips and have been very pleased. I have heard very good things about Suzy Q's and now Pappy's which I have not heard of before now but may have to give it a try. Tri tips have become near the top of my list of favorite beef to smoke or grill. Grocery stores do not carry it around here I get it through a local food service company. First time I ever smoked one was about 2 years ago and since have become my go to beef.

Comment

• rwalters
          rwalters commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad you like it! Just an FYI, Pappys does have a reduced sodium version of their rub for those that prefer a bit less salt.

• Sgt Tyree
          Sgt Tyree commented
          Editing a comment
          rwalters : I saw that after I had already ordered. I have to really limit salt and have found that when some products reduce the sodium they increase the potassium to offset. That can be a problem for some as potassium really screws with certain medications. Moderation is key.

• rwalters
          rwalters commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotcha! Why is it we always have to limit the "good stuff" in our diets? 😩

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here