Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis dust on turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memphis dust on turkey

Would any of you use Memphis dust as a rub on a grilled turkey?
    I wanted to use Simon and Garfunkel but my family said to follow exactly what I did with the Boston butt. I'm thinking SnG would be better. Worried that the sugar would burn on the MD.

It could work, if you keep the temp under about 350. I do this with chicken on occasion. It just won't have the bark they probably have in mind. Maybe this is an opportunity to fire up a 2nd cooker and smoke a butt?

Comment

Why not? Not a bad idea. I don’t love SnG so this isn’t a bad idea.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm glad to see someone else isn't crazy about SnG. I thought I was the only one. MMD on the other hand...outstanding.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        We tried SnG once and I don't like it, either.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I've made two batches and haven't really cared for it either time. I might be using poor herbs, but I find they cook up unpleasantly.

My next turkey might be MMD, or it might be a refinement of SnG with stuff I like better, like sumac.

I use it all the time on chicken and have used it on turkey once turned out great

Comment

I cooked with my 26 wide open yesterday. Thare a look in the show what you are cooking thread Andrea you can see my bird go a little dark in some spots from the sugar and butter in my SnG rub. It's was seriously delicious! I also have a little balsamic in there too. That burned part was actually sweet and not akrid. Heres one pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9893.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	413976

Comment

Ok so I'll do one turkey with MD and one with SnG. Best of both worlds.
          thanks people

Comment

I have done both. one for a bbq turkey and one for what we call midevil turkey. the MMD and other variants seem to work best on thighs, wings, and drums with a thin layer or carmelized sauce on it at the end, exactly how I do my bbq chicken thighs/drums. For a whole turkey, or a breast, I prefer an herby rub, like SnG. Dry brine, inject, butterball, rub the rub under the skin mixed with a little canola oil, and let rest uncovered in the fridge overnight. The day of, hit the outside on top of the skin with SnG mixed with olive oil and smoke over pecan wood. turns out perfect every time. If it is a heritage breed, SnG is the ONLY way to go.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here