Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do people put dry rubs on meatloaf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do people put dry rubs on meatloaf?

Is this a thing? Have you ever done it?

I have used different rubs with good success. The wife usually slathers on her brown sugar, ketchup and mustard goop on it when it's done, so a rub with brown sugar works pretty good.

Comment

I like bacon on my smoked meatloaf.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly why I make it that way, EdF .

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Bwahahaha!!! 🥓🥓

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I love bacon on meatloaf! On paper, it seems like too much of a good thing, but it's perfect.

Oh yeah. I like to use Head Country or Memphis dust. Great stuff.

Comment

Corn kernels, cheddar cheese and taco seasoning. Or, rice mixed in with steak seasoning. There are no bad meatloaves!

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Zoinks!! The package season we grew up on. That's sounds wonderful. We rarely eat the package stuff but corn and cheddar with it? I'd eat that!!

Yep!
        plus bacon :-)

Comment

Of course I put rub on meatloaf....it's flavor

Comment

I rub my loaf all the time...

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha, I knew someone was going to go there!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              oh yer a baaaad boy.....

• FlaBouy
              FlaBouy commented
              Editing a comment
              Halfways blind also for some reason....

Its funny you asked this. I made a smoked meatloaf this last weekend and thought about adding some rub to it as I was making it but decided not to. I can reevaluate tonight because I think the leftovers are for dinner tonight.

Comment

I crust my meatloaf for sandwiches in butter or clarified. Add BBBR to it no matter how you regular day before meatloaf was cooked. It's truly heavenly when it's crusted with butter and season!! But of course I plan for my leftovers so..... I guess their Firstovers!

Comment

I do, quite often... BBBR, SPG, Montreal, be my first go-to's...
                Hint: Rub th' entire loaf, before ya' plop it into yer pan, or onto yer grate, not jus' th' top...
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 3, 2017, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I don't. There are usually plenty of herbs and spices mixed into the meat and I don't want or need another mix of stuff rubbed onto the exterior. Occasionally I'll glaze the surface with something.

I guess I'm one of the few that rarely places strips of bacon on a meatloaf. If I want bacon on a loaf I'll make a bacon weave and make a fattie.

Comment

I don't put rub on the outside, but I include some in the stuff that goes into the raw meat mixture. Just a little goes a long way for flavor.

Comment

I often include internal, mixed in ingredients, as well...makes fer a treat, when served.
                      I also, sometimes/often, add rub to th' exterior...
                      I, like many I have learned from, like/embrace th' 'Layers of Flavour' mentality...
                      Brine/marinade, season/rub, cook, spritz/mop, sauce/caramelize/top/finish....
                      I reckon I see a meatloaf in th' same light... a hunk of meat needin' cooked/a Tabla Rasa.
                      Reckon I've never injected one, thus far, but tomorrow is another day, God willin', an' th' crick don't rise, so who knows?
                      YMMV
                      In my experience, ain't too many Bad Ways to make a meatloaf, 'ceptin fer, mainly, undercookin' it, or overcookin' it, been' my experience, lol!
                      Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 3, 2017, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Yon meatloaf beckons, to rub or not to rub, that is the question. We should gather our minds and havest a poll, then rig it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Forsooth, a mostin' vexin' dilemna...
                          Or complete lack of one; jus' run Commando/Nekkid. I often do this, as well. Make it Your Meatloaf! Experiment, an' such crazy stuff!!
                          How 'bout we paint a 'Happy Lil' Meatloaf' over here, couple lil' Duders, 'bout like that...

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here