Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good recipes or sources for low sodium or salt-free rubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good recipes or sources for low sodium or salt-free rubs?

I find all the popular rubs very salty for my taste. I'm looking for good sources to buy good, low salt rubs or recipes to make my own. All suggestions welcomed. TIA

I have tried most of the ones from this site and enjoy them all. They are all salt free, so you control the salt. Try it as it, and then amend the flavour if you like a bit different.

Comment

Welcome SeaBrzJo

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Meathead's Memphis Dust , (MMD), has no salt in it, but it's recommended that you add salt if you don't dry brine. Of course, you can add the amount of salt to MMD that you feel is appropriate.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!

Comment

Having to watch sodium is tough but not impossible. One thing i've found is if something says it is reduced sodium it most likely has increased potassium which can mess with any BP meds you take. Tomato juices are the worst for this. I've found that if you stick with some of the "organic" chickens such as Smart Chicken or Bare they are not brined and start off with a sodium level of around 2-4 percent. For ribs the Smithfield brand which is also in the 2-4 percent range. Both very liveable. The Smithfield ribs dry brined per Meatheads instructions using kosher salt and using his Memphis Dust is the best combination i've found if your concerned with sodium intake. After multiple cooks it doesn't affect my BP at all. Reading labels is key.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana!

Any rub I make (my own concoction or found recipe) I pretty well always leave out the salt now that way I can dry brine and control the taste....

I believe Weber or McCormicks has a couple of No Salt rubs and seasonings I saw at the grocery store one day.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun. If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like. For jokes, go to this thread. Happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation. And to address your question, I concur with those who suggest making your own. Not only do you control the salt, you control all ingredients and freshness, something you can't do with pre-packaged rubs.

Comment

Meathead's rubs, as has been already stated, have no salt. You can dry brine or lightly salt. Being on the 2000 mg/day plan myself, I've experimented enough to learn that by dry brining the night before, I end up with lots of flavor while using very little salt. Last few blood tests have my sodium levels at the bottom of the scale, so it must be working.

Another source I've found for some rubs, and "seasonings" that have pretty good flavor are the offerings from Mrs. Dash.

Welcome to the pit.

Best regards,
                  Jim

Comment

Welcome aboard. A big yup to what jgreen said. Eat good & have fun!

Comment

NEW LOOK, Same Great Taste! For over 20 years, Heaven Made Products has been providing five-star quality seasonings to your kitchen. Shop All purpose seasonings, BBQ Rubs, Cajun seasonings, Flavored

Comment

Welcome to the pit SeaBrzJo!

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Pretty easy to make your own basic rubs. You can't go wrong with the classic basic rub of salt(control your amount), pepper, and granulated garlic( I use garlic powder but just learned about granulated garlic this week!). You can experiment from that base adding chili powder, cumin, etc. As others have mentioned, the rubs on AR are very good as well and are salt free.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here