Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey rub suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey rub suggestions?

I was wondering if anybody had an opinion (imagine that) on rubs for Thanksgiving Turkey. I will consider anything. Spicy is okay too, I made homemade Turducken one year and everybody loved that can flare.

I meant to say cajun flare.

Comment

Meathead has a savory rub called Simon and Garfunkel if that is the direction you want to go.

Tony Chacherie's original is my go-to for poultry. Another good OTS seasoning great is great on poultry is Adobo seasoning.

Meathead also has a recipe for Memphis dust - I have used it on pork only, but I have seen quite a few people say they have used is on chicken - so turkey might work.

The consensus of several posts I have read on smoking turkeys recommend to dry brine only and inject with butter.
      Last edited by HC in SC; November 24, 2014, 09:00 AM.

Comment

I tried MMD on chicken once... it was pretty good actually. Hotter makes it dark and crispy... I might be nervous about putting it on Turkey without trying first... the crowd might not like the dark crispy skin like we do LOL

Comment

simon and Garfunkel is the way to go. Used it last year and the whole family loved it.

Comment

Ditto on the Simon and Garfunkel rub. I am a novice. Did my first turkey on a Weber kettle as a warm up for Thanksgiving (it's just the in-laws)! And, the S&G rub saved the day. As Meathead suggests, it does help to apply the rub under the skin. Here in Michigan, I had some trouble maintaining 325 on a very cold day. I ended up finishing some of the pieces over direct heat so we could all eat, but still the best turkey I've had. Any recommendations on how to maintain the heat on a cold day? And, what a great website- I'm cooking for the first time after 27 years of watching my gourmet wife.

Comment

I have made one generally following the ultimate turkey method but used cajun spices instead of the S & G rub. I also made some cajun gravy with some turkey stock not as RX in the recipe. It was really good and will be doing that Thursday.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here