Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you measure your dry ingredients for rubs? NOT FOR BREAD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volume guy here. I'll say this, breads by weight, rubs and stuff in recipes by volume. I'm a scraper too. So as long as I like my rubs, I can duplicate them to a fairly precise degree by doing the same exact thing twice. My chili recipe is fairly precise even though by volume, but I do the same exact thing every time I make it.

Comment

OK All - One really important thing here. I speak from experience.
      Scenario...
      1. Smokingirl (or mayhaps one of you fine club members) grabs scale.
      2. Smiles with the anticipation of the perfectly proportioned rub...
      3. Grabs wine for satisfying sip of goodness.
      4. Lines up all ingredients (wants to be just like the mis en place dudes on TV...)
      5. Sets up scale
      6. Taps the TARE button
      7. Begins with the first ingredient...
      8. More wine
      9. Add next ingredient and repeat step 8
      10. Repeat step 8 again
      11. just about to the last ingredient...........
      AND FORGETS TO HIT THE TARE BUTTON.

Actually, in a rub, this isn't so bad, however. My story has to do more with the distractions of watching TV and ensuring my cat isn't being stepped on and trying to remember to press de button.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Been there!

• Brewmaster
        Brewmaster commented
        Editing a comment
        do the same thing but with Buffalo Trace

I don't measure by eye, the pepper stings too much...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        ROFL!

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        And, OY!! The cayenne!!!

OK, I REALLY LIKE vringer's method of printing the "formula" on the bottle and measuring directly into the bottle. Just changed my whole way of thinking on making and storing rubs. Used to do volume, but OK with converting to weight the first time.
      My wife will just roll her eyes and walk out of the kitchen.

Comment

I do it how the recipe asks, and some times not at all.

But i I voted by weight, because your trolling poll deserved a counter troll.

Comment

So..... I measure by volume but mistakenly hit the weight button. I therefore disqualify myself from being a geniuos, a full wit, intelligent or an accurate button pusher. Took me three tries to hit Post Reply!

Comment

For rubs, I don't think consistency is all that big a deal. Close will be fine. For Dalmatian run, I actually go by sight: I'll rub the brisket, and then think it's either too light, or too dark, and add salt or pepper to even it out!

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed. Unless you have the taste buds of a sommelier, you're not going to taste the extremely subtle differences after smoking the meat.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Some of us do have somm palates, and still don't really care about an extra gram or three in three cups of rub, after smoking. But the same thing holds for the imprecision of volume measurements. It's all loosey goosey because rubs for smoking aren't that fussy.

I just use good ol' measuring cups (or spoons), unless the recipe calls for ingredients "by weight"

Comment

I measure by volume,but converted everything to weight to do a cost analysis.

Comment

I really can't see weighing for rubs--and a lot of other dishes--stews, chili, pasta sauces. I mean, what does a teaspoon of most herbs weigh? A lot of scales aren't capable of measuring small amounts and precision certainly isn't required for a rub. I usually just use a dry-measure, one-cup measuring cup and eyeball 1/2 c, 1/4 c, etc in that, then eyeball teaspoon and tablespoon quantities in the palm of my hand. One 'dirty" dish and you're done.

Comment

I answered by volume, but more accurately would have answered by "sight" and sometimes "taste".

Comment

• Mudkat
                    Mudkat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good point!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here