Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confit Brine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confit Brine.

OK, some may remember when I started making lemon Confit and got a big head when Rhulman actually thought my idea of using eh brine from the confit was original.

well, can we take that a step further. for your rubs, how would using the brine in place of salt absorb into the meat (I'm asking the sciencey wiency guys on this one) Could I take that salt made into a brine and allowed to age around tomatoes, getting that deepened lemon flavor into and as part of the salt and use it as the salt portion of the brine? could I further make a salt/sugar blend using the proportions of slat and sugar that we use in our own BBQ recipes and use them to confit the lemons. let the confit sit for a bit, then, take ut out, press or otherwise juice what is left of the lemon and put that back with the lemony salt/sugar brine and use ti as the base for your rub. I think this would be well, especially for chicken but Pork would very much benefit from a slight brightening that comes will lemon confit.

I can see this being an incredible tangent to current sauce/brine/rub mixture. I can also see putting your entire rub recipe together. all your salt, sugar and spices blended together (leaving the whole spices whole) and pack a jar with quartered lemons with layers of your rub, salt,sugar mix between each layer. when it had finished aging (which should be a minimum of a month) rake it all out, run the lemons through a juicer, return the liquid to the rest of the contents of the jar and run through a blender to break up the whole spices. if this won't be ground, there is the mortar & pastel or you could pull out the coffee grinder and try using that to break them up.

U am planning to give this a try with the full rub recipe and using it on my meat as a rub. I know it sounds odd but you would not believe the wonderful flavor that is created when allowing the lemons to salt age like this. I'll bet it will really shine in BBQ, especially in chicken.

if anyone else tries it, please let me know what your resulting BBQ tastes

I'll take a stab at this Karon. We know that salt is a very small molecule, and maybe the only one cooks regularly use that will penetrate meat. And I think that any flavor molecules that come from lemon are organic, and much larger than salt, so the answer would be no - they can't penetrate meat.

However, I can also say that I have had chicken that had way too much lemon flavor, so my final analysis is who knows??

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      well, if competitors are injecting with anything but salt, this might be a way to carry not only whatever they are already injecting but also things like the caramel I keep banging on about, inside the meat.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here