Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paprika Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paprika Help

Posted this below elsewhere in "The Pit." I'm technologically not gifted. Thanks for your understanding and your help.

OK, my wife is busily ordering Paprika from Penzy's. Here in Western Kansas we have many advantages, however, access to bulk spices isn't one and we like Penzy's. The question is what is the best kind of Paprika for Meathead's Memphis dust. A Hungarian Half-sharp, California sweet, or a Hungarian sweet kulonlegas? Thanks for y'alls expertise and opinions.

I personally use Hungarian sweet

Comment

Spanish smoked paprika.

Comment

I've tried all three of Penzey's paprika types. I like (a lot) the Hungarian Sweet. California is just red dust, it's got no taste in my opinion.

Comment

Thank you everyone.

Comment

Hungarian hot is my paprika of choice. But I mostly use it to make my chili powder, and I like everything a little spicy.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto that. For chili and chicken paprikash, I use the Szeged brand from Fresh Market or sometimes the local grocery carries it. In my experience, Szeged Hot Hungarian Paprika is hotter than Penzy's Half-Sharp Paprika.

For Meathead's Memphis Rub, though, I use Szeged Sweet Hungarian Paprika.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; October 21, 2014, 12:42 PM.

For a bulk source of various paprika's the Spice Sage is worth a look and if you order make sure you try their whole black pepper, haven't found a source that equals the freshness and intensity of their black pepper.

Spices and seasonings at wholesale prices, including many unique and hard to find items MySpiceSage.com

Comment

Thank you all for the additional recs!
              Sweaty

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here