Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rub recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rub recommendations

Early in the year I made a big batch of Meathead's Memphis Dust and went through all of it on a bunch of ribs through the summer. I know the advice is to make your own because it's cheaper and you can leave out the salt, but there are some really good rubs that I'd love to know how to make myself.

After getting a recommendation by Spinaker for some Black Ops brisket rub (Oakridge BBQ), I tried out a few of their other rubs. They've been a huge hit:
    • Black Ops - fantastic for brisket and chuck with a Brazilian coffee twist
    • Carne Crosta - great rub for steaks, also with a coffee twist
    • Habanero Death Dust - amazing for pork ribs, good heat but not crazy
    Big Poppa's:
    • Jallelujah Bacon Jalepeno Rub - less heat than the Habanero Death Dust, which is perfect for some people, and the bacon flavor is a great twist
    Simply Marvelous BBQ has some good rubs, but no rave reviews by my gang:
    • Sweet Seduction - good on ribs for those that don't like heat, better with some cayenne added
    • Spicy Apple - subtle, wasn't as sweet or spicy as hoped despite being applied liberally
    If I could reproduce some of these without salt, I'd be so happy. Have any of you found any rubs you make or buy regularly, aside from Meathead's recipes?

Mike Mill's Magic Dust is the only thing I use besides my own recipes.

I keep it around for those moments time or desire lack for making up my own rubs but still want to drink beer by a smoker.

Last edited by fuzzydaddy; December 20, 2016, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I added our AR affiliate code to the link.

• Bob Benhardt
      Bob Benhardt commented
      Editing a comment
      It was a nekkid link as far as I knew - wasn't trying to gimmick anything or anybody

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem at all. What I added gives AmazingRibs a finder's fee on Amazon for any purchases that use the link. Thank you for the post!

Mike Mill's Magic Dust recipe is in his book Peace, Love, & BBQ. He also talks a bit about creating your own rubs and there is some good info in there. I highly recommend that book as part of your BBQ Book Collection.

Chris Lilly's World Championship Pork Butt recipe is in the book Big Bob Gibson's BBQ. It (or a slight variation) is probably my favorite for pork butts... I also like the injection. This book is also a must in the a BBQ Book Collection.

I would like to reverse engineer Pit Barrel's AP rub... but I have no problem supporting and purchasing from them.

Killer Hogs is on my list to try soon.

Comment

• Bob Benhardt
      Bob Benhardt commented
      Editing a comment
      Peace, Love is a great book. Gibson's is on the LIST! Thanks!

Dizzy Pig has a wonderful line of creative rubs, but they are far too expensive. The two or three I tried were great.

Comment

I have fallen in love with Simply Marvelous' Spicy Apple and so has everyone I've made ribs for so take my next two recommendations with a grain of salt (Ha, see what I did there? Slat, cause we're talking about rubs. I'll be playing this room all week). I also like Cash Cow Beef Rub from Big Poppa Smokers and McCormick's Grillmates Sweet and Smoky.

Comment

I used to use Bone Suckin' Rub and Montreal Steak(low sodium) but that was before I discovered Memphis Dust and BBBR. I also like Meathead's Rendezvous Rub and Aaron Franklin's Texas-style pork rub. And just Dalmation rub for brisket and short ribs. I will admit to having a bottle of Melissa Cookston's Ultimate BBQ Rub on the shelf but I have yet to break the seal...

For steaks I just do salt then pepper after cooking so it doesn't burn, burgers get the pepper mixed in with a light dusting of onion and garlic powder, then I salt the patties after they're formed.

There are so many commercial rubs out there it's like trout streams in Montana: You could do a different one every day for a lifetime and not cover anywhere near all of them. If you hit one you like, take a look at the ingredients on the package and start experimenting. I always liked a little coffee flavor in a beef rub, maybe I'll throw a pinch or two of instant in the next batch of BBBR I make. Thanks for the reminder!

Have Fun!
        Bill

Comment

Thanks for the input, everyone! I'll check out some of the recommendations, and @billg - I like the idea of experimenting to reverse engineer a rub I like.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here