Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOT prepared horseradish - what brand? Where to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOT prepared horseradish - what brand? Where to buy?

We live in the Baltimore area. In addition to crabs and seafood, we're known for pit beef. It's usually a bottom round, (or similar), roast. Cooked over charcoal, slice thin and served on a kaiser roll. The condiments are salt, pepper, thinly sliced raw onions, horseradish, and BBQ sauce.

We have Bull and Oyster roasts, where the stars of the show are briny Maryland oysters and pit beef and plenty of ice cold draft beer.. One thing I've noticed, is at every single bull-roast, the horseradish is smokin' hot. I'm talking, eye-watering, nose-clearing, hot. I always mean to ask the caterer, what brand they use, but I always forget. I probably should've mentioned that most of the ones that I attend, are "BYOB"

With apologies to Meathead, I've never seen Tiger Sauce at a Bull and Oyster roast. That stuff is usually served at Pit Beef stands, or restaurants.

Long story short, can anyone suggest a good brand of prepared horseradish, (short of growing your own & making it), that gives those same, smokin' hot, nose-clearing goodness, that grocery store brands seem to lack? I've tried them all. Seriously.

I do buy a jar of Nasal Napalm, (Google it), once a year, and add that to regular horseradish, but it's not the same.

Thanks!

I may not be a connoisseur, but I've been happy with this one:

I starts to lose its potency after a couple of months in the frige, so toss and get another jar. Local grocery stores carry it.

Comment

• DJ DeSpain
      DJ DeSpain commented
      Editing a comment
      I buy mine at my local Publix grocery store. Great stuff!

I just bought some 2 oz bottles of Natural Wasabi, Hot Mustard and Horseradish Powder from Penzeys Spices. That way I can make my own with as much or little bite as I want. (jalapeno chilies are good but I'm getting old enough that they dont agree with me anymore but Horseradish is fine!! Thus all the bottles!)

Comment

The fresher the horseradish usually the stronger it will be. Also what GadjetGriller said about the horseradish powder. I even put horseradish powder in my beef rub.

Growing up in western NY, horseradish is a main component of one of the best foods to be cooked there, the beef on weck sandwich.
      Last edited by ssandy_561; August 4, 2016, 06:10 AM.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Guest that is one of the reasons I got the powder was to replace chili powder or chipotle in BBQ rubs!! Never heard of Beef on a weck Sandwich but will be checking into it!!

my go-to hot horseradish.... love to layer it on top of a slice of beef summer sausage...

Comment

Along with johnec00 I recommend the Ingelhoffer and Beaver brands of horseradish. They have quite a variety of hot ones. They are a company located in Oregon but they have nationwide distribution. Every Walmart I have ever been in carries their products.

[vc_row full_width="stretch_row" hide_bg_image_on_tablet="" hide_bg_image_on_mobile="" row_delimiter="" hide_on_desktop="" hide_on_notebook="" hide_on_tablet="" hide_on_mobile="" hide_on_frontpage="" css=".vc_custom_1594244562939{margin-top...

Comment

• DJ DeSpain
          DJ DeSpain commented
          Editing a comment
          Ingelhoffer is sold at Publix, where I buy it.

If you have a Gordon Food Service (GFS) in your area they carry their own brand of prepared horseradish that is much hotter than the supermarket brands. It doesn't hold the heat for too long once opened though but it's cheap so I just buy more when I need it.

Comment

Atomic. It will blow your head off.

Amazon

Comment

My spouse is a horse radish fanatic. Out here she can't find it hot enough so she buys the root when she can and makes it herself. From what I could tell the hardest part of the process was finding the roots.

Comment

Try Nasal Napalm. You can order from The Pepper Palace online.

Comment

• Skinsfan1311
                Skinsfan1311 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. I go through about a jar a year of that stuff, but it's too strong to pile on a pit beef sandwich. I use it in Bloody Mary's, cocktail sauce, tiger sauce, etc.

• Estol Riddle
                Estol Riddle commented
                Editing a comment
                My bad. Sorry.

No need to apologize!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here