Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar Free Rub anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar Free Rub anyone?

I have always used MH's Memphis Dust since I discovered this site a couple years ago. In fact it was probably one of the first recipes I used. It's always been a hit, but I am going to be preparing pork butt for a friend who cannot have sugar. Considering the high sugar content in this rub, I'm worried that if I just leave out the sugar, the rub will be kinda "blah". I've never tried this, but I wonder what would happen if I rubbed the raw meat down with molasses and then applied the Memphis Dust (sans the sugar). Anyone have any thoughts? Or suggestions?

The molasses has a lot of sugar, so maybe consider another main ingredient.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep it on the indirect heat side and burning shouldn't be an issue.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      And I like your molasses + sugar free rub idea if you have to go that route. I might even steal it.

• Rakman
      Rakman commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R - thanks for the input. I'm safe on this I think, since I use a Traeger for my smoking. It's all indirect heat to me.

I did non sugar rub for along time. I am one of those guys that think you dont need sauce if the meat is cooked right. This is what I learned.. it depends on what part of the country you are cooking for. Texas is mainly salt and pepper (what kind of pepper is debatable) KC/STL is sweet and heat, The farther east you go , it is more about tangy (vinegar).
    If you have read the stuff on rubs, sugar = bark. For along time I thought sugar was to seal up the outside and wouldnt let the smoke in (that is for Meathead to decide). The bottom line.. try different things and find out what YOU like. You wont get fat from sugar rubs. ( the actual fat in the meat may have a side effect though)

Comment

• Rakman
      Rakman commented
      Editing a comment
      Do think that molasses on the surface would burn? I don't have enough time to test it out. Bark is good, but don't know if what I'm suggesting would create bark or a disaster.

• Rakman
      Rakman commented
      Editing a comment
      They do a Paleo diet, so natural sugars are okay, so the molasses should work for them. I'll post an update once the final product comes out. Hoping for the best from this little experiment. Thanks for the input rat88.

This question of a sugar-free rub came up about a year or so ago. I tested several spice variations on ribs, and a couple were pretty OK. I just don't know how to find that thread at this point. Perhaps. Someone more clever can get the correct search parameter.

Comment

I did Boston butts for years without sugar, and they came out fine with equal parts of kosher salt, paprika, black pepper and granulated garlic. The cooking of the meat is more important than the spice.

Comment

• Rakman
        Rakman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks LA PORK BUTT. I'm such a fan of MH's memphis dust, I'd like to just adjust that recipe just a little bit, as I am making quite a bit of regular recipe, and just making a "special one" for my friend.

"I think they just don't do "refined" sugar"

If the problem is just refined sugar, substitute turbinado sugar instead.

Comment

• Rakman
        Rakman commented
        Editing a comment
        That's an interesting thought...I'll check with my friend and make sure before I try it. I've never actually heard of turbinado sugar, so this has been an education for me. Thanks for the input!

Rakman , you really should know how strict your friend's dietary prohibition is and make sure your cook complies (for safety). I finally found the thread I was thinking of. Nothing replaces the sugar, but here is that thread:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...17358-butt-rub

Hope you let us know what you do, and how it turned out.

Comment

• Rakman
        Rakman commented
        Editing a comment
        What a great education!!! Thanks for sharing the thread from last year...so much information there. I will think about the various options and then I will let you guys know how we proceeded and how it went. Thanks richinlbrg!

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Whatever path you choose, I hope you let us know how,it goes!

Our knowledge base is not as good here, so I hope you'll add to it.

Good luck, Rakman !

Thanks for posting this and sharing. I really appreciate the link to the old thread too. So, modifying Meathead's Memphis Dust, I'm going to make it sugar-free like this:

1/2 cup paprika
      1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt
      1/4 cup garlic powder
      4 tablespoons ground black pepper
      2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
      2 tablespoons onion powder
      2 tablespoons cinnamon
      1 tablespoon nutmeg
      2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Comment

I follow the paleo diet and continue to lose weight eating lots of BBQ! Honey is paleo friendly also. I agree with meathead that there's probably more sugar in the BBQ sauce or molasses or honey than they will ingest from the rub. Besides it's ok to cheat now and then.

Comment

dustinrebaugh, Butchman, Like Butch Just Pointed Out I Have Used Honey as a Sugar Replacement❓ Typically I'll Brush it Over the Dry Rub! As I Don't Know anything about Your Friends Condition I Would Ask Them before I assumed
          It To Be OK!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here