Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Powder vs Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeepRiver
    Charter Member
    • Nov 2014
    • Pearland TX
    • Old Country BBQ Pits offset smoker, Pecos model
      Blue Ember Gas Grill, 3 burner
      Brinkman 16" Bullet Smoker
      Redi Check with dual 6' probes thermometer
      Thermoworks instant read thermometer
      RIC FLAIR ON 3 BABY!

Powder vs Salt

What's the difference in using powder vs salt, ie garlic/onion powders and salts.
  • RonB
    Club Member
    • Apr 2016
    • Near Richmond VA
    • Weber Performer Deluxe
      SNS
      Pizza insert
      Rotisserie
      Smokenator 1000
      Cookshack Smokette Elite
      2 Thermapens
      Chefalarm
      Dot
      lots of probes.
      CyberQ

I use powders because I don't know how much salt is in the salts, and I want to control how much salt is in the recipe.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Club Member
      • Jun 2016
      • Beautiful Downtown Berwyn
      • Grill: Grilla Original / Weber Genesis EP-330 / OK Joe Bronco Drum
        Thermometers: Thermapen / iGrill 2 / Fireboard
        For Smoke: Chunks / Pellet Tube / Mo Pouch
        Sous Vide: Joule / Nomiku WiFi (RIP Nomiku)
        Disqus: Le Chef - (something something something) - it changes

I use powders because I don't want salt. I don't want an unknown quantity of salt.

Comment

• DeepRiver
        Charter Member
        • Nov 2014
        • Pearland TX
          RIC FLAIR ON 3 BABY!

OK. So do you get the same flavor for the amount but NOT the salt content???

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          No. You don't get that. Because the salts contain some unknown amount of salt, measures to less salt than the equivalent weight of salt, and less garlic/onion than the equivalent of weight of granulated garlic/onion.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I have garlic salt in my house because my wife likes it on salt. I might have onion salt because my wife screwed up and bought it.
          If you want powder, use powder. If you want salt, use salt. If you want both salt and powder, use both.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Part 3: As you likely want to dry or wet brine before cooking, you don't want to oversalt with a garlic salt. Since you cannot remove salt, only add it, it's better to be able to control the salt, by using powders and granulations, rather than salts.
      • fuzzydaddy
        Charter Member
        • Nov 2014
        • Winchester TN
        • Hardware
          Blackstone 36” Griddle
          Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado.
          Slow 'N Sear Kettle Grill.
          Slow 'N Sear (1.0, Deluxe, 2.0), DnG Pans/Racks, Easy Spin Grates, Elevated Cooking Grates.
          Weber Chimney starters (regular and half).
          Joule.
          GrillGrates.
          Maverick XR-50 [my favorite].
          ThermoWorks Smoke & Gateway, Thermapen, Thermapop, ChefAlarms, DOT, probes

Consumables / Favorites
          KBB (short cooks), Weber (long cooks)
          Ribs (beef & pork), Pork Butts, Chuck Roasts, Pork Tenderloins.
          SnS Grills salt free rubs: Not Just for Beef & Rocky’s Rub.
          MeatChurch Holy Cow. MMD, BBBR, S&G, Herbs de Provence, SPG.

Welcome to The Pit DeepRiver. It's great to have you here. Thank you for your support.

Many of the meats I cook (pork butts, ribs, brisket, chicken) get their salt from brining, so I don't use spices with salt in them to make my rubs or I would be over-salting. I use Morton's Kosher salt exclusively.

I see you joined a few months ago, but since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!
        Last edited by fuzzydaddy; July 2, 2016, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• jharner
          Club Member
          • Jan 2016
          • Louisiana - North West but a coon ass at heart
          • Cookers

Camp Chef DLX Pellet Grill
            Weber 22.5 Kettle
            Brickman Box Smoker

Accessories

Slow N Sear
            Tube Smoker
            Turkey Cannon
            Rib racks
            Weber chimney starter

Thermometer's

Maverick ET 735
            Tru Temp 3619n
            Thermapen mk4
            Thermapop

Favorite Drink

Free beer
            Coors Light
            Windsor ( Canadian blended whiskey )

I use the powders on meat that I brine with kosher salt so that I don't over salt the cook. Check out Meatheads articles about salt and he will explain why he has removed salt from his rubs. Welcome to the Wikipedia of BBQ.

Comment

• MBMorgan
            Club Member
            • Sep 2015
            • Colorado
            • > Weber Genesis EP-330
              > Grilla Grills Original Grilla (OG) pellet smoker
              > Pit Barrel Cooker (gone to a new home)
              > WeberQ 2000 (on "loan" to a relative)
              > Old Smokey Electric (for chickens mostly - when it's too nasty out
              to fiddle with a more capable cooker)
              > Luhr Jensen Little Chief Electric - Top Loader circa 1990 (smoked fish & jerky)
              > Thermoworks Smoke
              > 3 Thermoworks Chef Alarms
              > Thermoworks Thermapen
              > Thermoworks IR-GUN-S
              > Anova sous vide circulator
              > Searzall torch
              > BBQ Guru Rib Ring

I'll use a small amount of onion and garlic salt to season a non dry-brined burger or steak just before grilling. For everything else it's powder.

Comment

• DeepRiver
              Charter Member
              • Nov 2014
              • Pearland TX
                RIC FLAIR ON 3 BABY!

Great answers everyone. Thank you!

Comment

• W.A.
                Charter Member
                • Sep 2014
                • Kingwood, TX
                • Rec Tec Stampede, Pit Barrel Cooker, Weber One Touch Gold 22.5", Kamado Joe Classic

I tend to buy "granulated" garlic rather than the powder. I havent found granulated onion, but I think I would go with that too. If use mixe that equal parts kosher salt and coarse pepper you have a nice rub for anything. The BBQ Pit Boys call it SPG, i.e., salt pepper garlic.

Comment

• CeramicChef
                  Former Member
                  • Jul 2014
                  • OKC, OK

I tend to use granulated garlic vs. garlic powder. I'll use onion powder. I don't like those combined in a jar with salt unless I have determined the proportions.

So many proteins these day are "Enhanced" with a saline solution that using much more salt ruins the cook for me.

Comment

• Steambucket
                    Former Member
                    • May 2016

I have garlic salt for my wife's spaghetti and that is the only thing I use it on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                    Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                    See more
                    See less
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                    The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                    The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                    The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                    The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                    The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                    We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                    Stylish and Affordable
                    Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                    Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                    A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                    Webers™ Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                    GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                    The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                    This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175� to 350�F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                    A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                    FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                    Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                    Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order