Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts about injecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts about injecting

I have some questions and thoughts about injecting meat, brisket specifically. I've never done it but I know a lot of you have so I'd like to hear your thoughts. So, what I'm wondering about is what you're actually accomplishing by using an injector. I know you're trying to get the meat to be moister when it's finished but does injecting a water based solution do that? With something like a brisket flat would you be better off injecting fat instead of water? And does that injection actually spread through the meat or does it stay in pockets.

It's got me thinking about larding needles. Anyone ever used one of these? I tried it years ago but it isn't easy. A larding needle is a long, thin hollow tube with a sharp end. The idea is that you fill the tube with some good fat like pork kidney fat, push the needle into the meat and leave a thin band of fat. But I found it very hard to do. Still have that needle around somewhere though.

Anyway, I have mixed feeling about the whole injection process but I'm not against trying it. I have a feeling this may have been discussed a lot before but I'd be interested in hearing from any of you who have success with it.

I look forward to reading the results. I have an injector but never used it (haven't really needed to yet). However, my bro-in-law has 2 briskets he wants me to cook that he got from the local meat processor when he ordered a beef cow....no idea what grade they are (yikes). I think that may be my first foray into injecting.

This article, toward the end, discusses Meathead's fav injection recipes, and some do's & don'ts with injecting. It's worth a read, since he brings up some great points a person might not really think about. He does mention injecting oils, but after the other stuff is injected. Butter too, but it can blob up. Check it out!

Comment

Injecting is just a means of adding spices and flavor to the interior of the meat, although, there can be a certain amount of fat included. For brisket, you usually have enough interior fat that will keep things moist, so injecting extra fat is not necessary. I'm not a brisket guru like many others here,but I do cook it occasionally. I've injected a few times to introduce flavor, but never needed to add fat.

Larding is a somewhat similar execution, but is really best for very lean meat, such as poultry, etc. that has to stand up to a longer cook. You can lard with an injector by simply melting the fat. Bacon fat is my fave for this. Injecting and larding are sort of kissing cousins in this regard, but injecting is just as effective as larding with an added benefit of adding cool flavors.

Comment

Thanks guys. Looks like not a lot of interest in this. Maybe it's been talked out.

Comment

I inject at BBQ contests, sometimes even chicken! I've never larded, so have no opinion there.

Comment

• Strat50
            Strat50 commented
            Editing a comment
            I just use bullion. Since bullion is mostly salt, when you get the salinity you like, the meat flavor is accentuated to meaty goodness too. It's cheating, but nice cheating.

• Tim Clark
            Tim Clark commented
            Editing a comment
            That makes sense but I still have reservations about using something I normally wouldn't use in cooking. Kind of like cooking sherry. Have you found any store bought bullion you like?

• Strat50
            Strat50 commented
            Editing a comment
            Knorr comes to mind. Understand this, however. You are using the bullion as a SEASONING, not to make a soup or sauce stock. Those are very different parameters. Its just flavored salt, really. We're not doing Le Cordon Bleu here.It just a full flavored seasoning, not a base for a fine sauce.

CandySueQ Strat50 for those of you who inject, what kind of needle (mainly size) do you recommend. I don't do comps so it would be just for trying it on a brisket or PB or two. I got a "turkey" injector for my b-day but I find the needles quite big (mainly thick). Do you use the thinner needles at all? I'm thinking the size of a thermometer probe? Mine is at least twice that, if not thicker.

Cheers,
          Daniel

Comment

• Tim Clark
            Tim Clark commented
            Editing a comment
            There are some pretty good ones on Amazon. I was looking at the set called Premiala. About $25.

I use the thicker needles, as you would find on the Eastman Brand injector. These needles don't clog up the way a finer needle does. Check out the section here on injecting to get an idea of what I mean. I also rarely use the multi-hole needle. I prefer the control I get when I just have one squirting hole to worry about...lol I have a Cuisavour's brand injector, much like the Eastman brand injector you see on this site. Both are stainless steel, and built like a tank. Definitely worth the 20 bucks I paid for it, as I use it frequently, both at work and at home. I tend to break the smaller plastic bodied injectors pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Strat50 View Post
            I use the thicker needles, as you would find on the Eastman Brand injector. These needles don't clog up the way a finer needle does. Check out the section here on injecting to get an idea of what I mean. I also rarely use the multi-hole needle. I prefer the control I get when I just have one squirting hole to worry about...lol I have a Cuisavour's brand injector, much like the Eastman brand injector you see on this site. Both are stainless steel, and built like a tank. Definitely worth the 20 bucks I paid for it, as I use it frequently, both at work and at home. I tend to break the smaller plastic bodied injectors pretty quickly.

yup - I have this one - it's built like a tank LOL!

~Gunsmokers~

Comment

I used just a cheap injector last week on a HOF. Just beef broth and was pretty moist with no crutching. The needle is probably shorter than the good ones.

Comment

I believe I've injected Brisket and Pork loin roast (not tenderloins) with MH's recipes. I inject the Pork first, and then apply the rub.

The picture below is the first one I did on the Weber Kettle using the Vortex. (SnS wasn't available at this time). Note the difference between the left side (rubbed) and right side (not rubbed). I always rub the whole thing now - for sure!

Click image for larger version

Name:	BNLS_Pork_Loin_111114.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	162162

Medusa revealed ... LOL!

Name:	The_Injector.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	162163

A little humor for your day ...

Name:	Boil_ur_Ribs.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	162164

-- Ed

Comment

Strat50 , Tim Clark - Check out the "Better than bouillon" products here: http://www.betterthanbouillon.com/
                I've had great results with several of them ... much better than those nasty little flavored salt cubes. The Au Jus Base looks especially interesting for diluting and injecting into beef.

I initially ordered mine from Amazon but local stores are carrying many of their products now.

Comment

• Strat50
                  Strat50 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I use all those products frequently. The au jus mix is especially great. We inject whole strip loins at work with au jus mix and added stuff. We then roast the striploin till about 90-100, then slice and sear. However, the powders have their place, as long as you treat them as flavored salt, not stock.
                  Last edited by Strat50; April 30, 2016, 11:42 AM. Reason: omission

Tim Clark MBMorgan That stuff is awesome. They also sell it at Costco. But really good stuff for Pork shoulders.

I used to inject all of my briskets with beef broth and my shoulders with apple juice. I just really didn't see a marked difference. All I really noticed was a bigger mess at the end of the day. However, I bought a professional injection(Butcher BBQ) from my local BBQ supply store. And that made a difference in flavor, big time. But I didn't notice a difference in moisture. And not injecting with apple juice into my shoulders has made no difference from when I injected. When I use the "Better than Bouillon" stuff, then I notice a difference in flavor for sure. Again, moisture, not so much.
                Last edited by Spinaker; April 30, 2016, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I also love BTB. I use the lobster base to make quick rice cooker paella. It's great. I have also used the chicken and needed bases. I still use the beef base when making Adam Perry Lang smoked short ribs during the wrapping phase.

Comment

Thanks everyone for continuing to chime in. I'm getting the idea that the most important thing in the injection is salt followed by flavoring (spices, herbs,)-kind of brining from the inside out. But that injecting liquid really doesn't add to the juiciness of the final product. I think I'll be on the fence about it until I try it a couple of times. I know in the past that every time I've cooked anything that's been pre-injected I don't really like the texture so it'll be an interesting experiment for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clark View Post
                      But that injecting liquid really doesn't add to the juiciness of the final product.
                      Sorry Tim Clark , but have to disagree. IMHO, makes a big difference, esp. with Pork Loin.

-- Ed

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here