Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competition rib glaze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competition rib glaze

I'm looking for a good competition rib glaze. I don't typically glaze ribs. However, I think that it is sort of expected. Anyone out there any good suggestions? Much appreciated!

Good ol' honey has a great sheen to it when glazed onto hot ribs.

Comment

I use this and I think MH gives it a good review. Click image for larger version

Name:	blueshog.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	159585

Comment

• sfrancis353
        sfrancis353 commented
        Editing a comment
        It seems a huge number of comp cookers use Blues Hog. So much that I've heard that some judges are getting sick of the fact that so many turn ins have the same flavor profile

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        I bookmarked the Sauces page on this site after seeing these comments. -- Ed

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Strain it! Makes a big difference.

Texas Pepper Jelly- Rib Candy. Best stuff ever for a rib glaze. Look no further!!
      Black Cherry & Grape Habanero Rib Candy is a great habanero sauce that offers a sweet but a bit or heat flavor on more than just ribs.

Comment

• oldsteve
        oldsteve commented
        Editing a comment
        Which flavor is your favorite? With or without peppers? I was thinking of ordering the sampler pack.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I have tried both. I like it with peppers. Its not as hot as you'd think it would be. But there is a good kick to it. Grape-Pomergranite with peppers is my favorite. But you really can't go wrong with any of them. oldsteve The sampler pack is a great way to go!!

• clkq4
        clkq4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you mix it with sauce....or apply straight out of the bottle?

​Straight out of the bottle. But you could mix it with sauce, I've just never done that before. But I just take the cap off. Pour it in a bowl and lightly brush it on. If you were gonna mix it with sauce, I would heat them together on a small pot. Let the flavors "get to know each other a lil bit" clkq4

Comment

Goldenrod honey makes a different honey glaze.

Comment

Thanks Spinaker for the info on the Texas Rib Candy. I ordered the six pack sampler pack. Yesterday I made two racks of baby backs. One I finished with the Apple-Cinnamon Rib Candy and the other one with the Pineapple-Habanero flavor. The official taste testing panel (the neighbors) thought they were off the chart. One thing I noticed right away was how little Rib Candy you had to use for a rack of ribs. A bottle will last quite awhile. You were absolutely right, look no further for a finishing glaze. I'm so pumped, I'm going to defrost another rack of ribs so I can try one of the other flavors today!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            GREAT!! Glad you loved it . oldsteve

In addition to honey, maple syrup, agave syrup, light corn syrup, and fruit preserves (think peach or apple jelly) can all be blended in different ratios along with a viniger based sauce to make a good glaze.

Experiment, and find what you like.

Comment

I make an Asian sauce that I use with chicken in a crock pot. It's mostly apricot jam and soy sauce with some garlic and ginger. Me thinks that might be good on ribs too.

Comment

Check my post WSM ribs. I used rib candy. Mango habenero. Texaspeperjelly.com. Best hands down

Comment

Three guys at work tried my ribs tonight and told me they were better than BBQ restaurants in the area. Rub candy, tiger sauce and Craig's BBQ sauce. They were awesome.

Comment

I did it in layers. Tiger sauce about 5 hours in. Rib candy about 5 hours in and BBQ sauce last 15 mins

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dude, Tiger sauce is one of the hidden gems of BBQ. I love it, use it all the time. Its excellent on wings right before you sear'em

Don't know if this would work for competition, but I wrap my ribs after a while, then unwrap and drain when almost done. I make a glaze from the drippings, adding some vinegar, apple jelly, molasses, a touch (just a touch) of maple syrup, and a little cinammon (be careful with this). Add some heat if you want, doesn't hurt at all.

PS - When I wrap I take my cue from Johnny Trigg, butter and molasses.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great idea!!

Spinaker I order some of that rib candy for a rib cook coming up this weekend and I'm holding you fully responsible. 🍺

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    hahaha, You won't be disappointed. What flavor did you get? DWCowles

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Black Cherry and Grape Spinaker

Originally posted by Chuck12335 View Post
                  Three guys at work tried my ribs tonight and told me they were better than BBQ restaurants in the area. Rub candy, tiger sauce and Craig's BBQ sauce. They were awesome.
                  That is a combo that I go with regularly. However, I usually use Blues Hog BBQ sauce. I'll have to try the one you used.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here