Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#RubXperiment: Memphis Dust 3 Ways - Made with Penzey's, Sam's Club & Regal Spices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#RubXperiment: Memphis Dust 3 Ways - Made with Penzey's, Sam's Club & Regal Spices

After I started cooking more than a couple racks of ribs at a time, I started finding it difficult to consistently find Sweet Hungarian Paprika at the grocery store. So, after reading here that Meathead liked Penzys.com as the Cadillac of spices, I bought 3 cup bags from them. Then I thought, why not get all my spices from them? It's a pain to grind your own Rosemary in the coffee grinder, anyhow.
    But Penzey's is quite a bit pricier than other sources of spices, like Sams Club, or the very affordable Regal spices from webstaurantstore. So, that brings us to how Meathead taught us to use the Science of BBQ and Grilling.

So, today, on the Jambo resides 7 racks of ribs, all with Memphis Dust, a generous coat, smoking over hickory:
    3 Racks with Penzey's Spices
    2 Racks with Sam's Club sources Spices (Tones)
    2 Racks with Regal Spices from webstaurantstore.

Before the rub:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-20 13.25.24.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	149617

After my generous coating with Memphis Dust

Name:	2016-03-20 13.33.34.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	149619

On the Pit, a couple hours into the cook, at 300 on the Jambo Thermomater (grill temp is a little lower)

Name:	2016-03-20 15.36.51.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	149618

My plan is to do BLIND taste tests, since my eyes reading those pricier Penzey's Spiced ribs will tell my tastbuds to prefer them.

This is going to be fun!!!!

paul, your friendly, neighborhood @BishopofBBQ
    Attached Files

So you get full spares and take off the rib tips?

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      No, they just had a lot of rib meat on the back

Wow, thanks for sharing. Can't wait for your results. I use Penzeys.

Comment

Tis should be verrrrry interesting. Thanks for doing this. I look forward to the results.

Comment

I need to make up some more MMD soon. I'm very interested in your results. Thanks for doing it.

Comment

Well, I have some good news, and some not as good news, sort of.

Here are the ribs, looking fabulous on the Jambo, about 5 hours in, 275 degrees or so. They call the very far end of the cook chamber the "Jambo Microwave," and judging by the darker color as you move left toward the end of the chamber, you can see why! They didn't taste burnt at all.

Name:	2016-03-20 18.53.57.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	149726

These are the racks toward the firebox end.

Name:	2016-03-20 18.53.50.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	149727

Nice little slice pic...

Name:	2016-03-20 18.58.44.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	149724

Name:	2016-03-20 19.30.09.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	149725

I had 6 guests come over, in 2 groups. Each sampled from three trays, labeled only #1, #2 and #3. And my family of 4 daughters and wife.

The Good News: Everyone picked the same # as their favorite! Yeah, decisive victory!

The Not as Good News (not really bad at all): The more expensive Penzey's Won! (#3)

Had mixed results between 2nd and 3rd.

The racks with the Penzey's were not quite as tender, maybe they were a little thicker, at least one of the racks was.

I asked everyone about the differential between them all, and they said the distinction between them was not great. However, it was decisive!

Can't wait to do some other experiments with the rub another day!

Just another day hanging out at #theRibShack

Paul

Comment

Wow, did you have a control group?

Comment

Jerod Broussard We had blind tasting, but no control group this time. Need a bigger pit to cook more racks of Stickburner ribs to do that! Jambo can fit 6, plus a 7th right next to the burner box.
              Last edited by PaulstheRibList; March 20, 2016, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Congratulations PaulstheRibList I have officially declared you as the AR "Rib King"

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                  Editing a comment
                  What an Honor! #thankyou

PaulstheRibList I can believe that, I had bought Penzies smoked paprika and my eight year old said mm smells good to that and yuk to Tones from SAMs.Lol, not as scientific as yours but the nose knows!

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There's definitely something to be said for the objectivity of youth, however.

I'm good with this. No more Gordons Food Service spice for me. DANG!

Thanks for doing the work on this one Paul!

Comment

Thank you. I'll be staying with Penzeys as I need all the help I can get. I don't cook a lot, so not a big impact on me.

Comment

I been getting mine from Walmart.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                      Editing a comment
                      I can't find Hungarian Sweet Paprika consistently. Do you find it at WalMart?

• Jerod Broussard
                      Jerod Broussard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, never used the stuff.

• EubieQ
                      EubieQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I get Papa brand Hungarian sweet from Kroger in a 5oz tin. Distributed by International Bazaar Inc. out of Dayton.

Does the Jambo come with shelves for the pit/chamber? And how is the wear and tear holding up? (Do you cover your Jambo with a tarp or cover?)

Comment

scottranda No shelves in either on the new Backyard Jambo. I'm trying to keep it in the garage or under a tarp, but in transitions it has gotten rained on a couple of times. There was some paint that pealed right at the beginning...bummer. Those spots have rusted. And there is some hints of discoloration around the firebox door. No worries - pits were made to look like you use them! It cooks great

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here