Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buttermilk Brine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buttermilk Brine

I've been reading about this and consensus is that it is the only thing that will tenderize, port, poultry, beef, etc. I'd like to hear from folks who've tried this and whether it really works, or not.

I use some form of buttermilk brine every day at the restaurant. It's the acid in the buttermilk that seems to tenderize. Any acid source, such as citrus juice, buttermilk, or plain yogurt, will suffice. Wine and vinegar will also perform the same function. Balance your acid with a lesser level of salinity, and you will be there.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome back! Where've you been? Hope all is well Strat.

I've soaked chicken pieces for fried chicken in a buttermilk brine for years, prior to breading/frying. Toss some more of that buttermilk (not the brine) in the making of cathead biscuits, and you're well on your way to a tasty supper. Where we live it's sometimes difficult to find whole buttermilk, which is all I use.

I use about 2-3 tablespoons of table salt per quart of buttermilk and brine for 30 minutes or so.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; March 18, 2016, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I've been experimenting with the buttermilk doing London Broil, Skirt Steak, Cubed Steak.... Oh, and my last spatchcocked chicken was the best I've ever done. I put it into my Green Mountain Grill at 350 for one hour.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here