Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Bad Beef Rub 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bad Beef Rub 2.0

I 4x'd the original recipe sometime back. It came out to 1/4 cup white sugar.

Soooooo, I started with 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar, kept all the other ingredients with the same ratio of their amounts to the sugar in the original recipe. Then added 1 teaspoon of cumin.

One batch fills up one of these jars to the top. Had to pack it down a little at the top to get the lid on.

Smoking a brisket for Wednesday consumption. Picked up another 50 pounds today to smoke later this week with more possibly added.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 14, 2016, 07:30 PM.

That's a lot of rub.

Comment

10 briskets.
      Attached Files

Comment

You need my address to ship some brisket to?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I would meet you half way if necessary. 4 hours of sleep last night, hopefully 3-4 tonight. I'll be whooped and ready to go back to work Monday.

• jharner
          jharner commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the offer Jerod, enjoy the results of your hard work!!

You're living up to your title "Brisket King"

Comment

Jerod, this may sound ridiculous, but I'm a little lost on the "ratio" part of the post when referring to the original Big Bad Beef Rub that I've seen on the site. I have a tradition to smoke a whole brisket for my birthday (which is Sunday), and I'd like to try this version out. Can you give me just a bit more detail?

Comment

Am I the only one having a problem viewing the pics because they are too big to fit on the screen?

Comment

• slefkoff
              slefkoff commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm on Firefox on OS X (10.10.5) and the images are also huge.

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              I use IE-11, and the images also load large. If I wait until the full image has been loaded into IE, then click the visible part, Mr. Gates nicely shrinks the image to fully display on the screen.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Just click the picture, it will resize it. Then you'll have to back-page though, but it's helpful with those massive pics.

Originally posted by slefkoff View Post
            Jerod, this may sound ridiculous, but I'm a little lost on the "ratio" part of the post when referring to the original Big Bad Beef Rub that I've seen on the site. I have a tradition to smoke a whole brisket for my birthday (which is Sunday), and I'd like to try this version out. Can you give me just a bit more detail?

In Jerod's absence, I'll take a stab at interpreting. Based on his using 1/2 cup (8 Tbsp) of sugar, it would appear that he 8x'd it this time:

24 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
            8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) Turbinado sugar (instead of granulated white sugar)
            8 (1/2 cup) tablespoons onion powder
            16 teaspoons mustard powder
            16 teaspoons garlic powder
            16 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
            8 teaspoons chipotle or cayenne powder
            1 teaspoon cumin (added by Jerod)
            Last edited by MBMorgan; March 22, 2016, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• slefkoff
              slefkoff commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! Definitely won't need that much for one brisket, but I'll either make enough to keep around for later or will proportionately reduce it.

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              slefkoff ... yeah ... I'd probably just make the original 1/2 cup BBBR recipe (your choice of sugar) and add 1/8 tsp of cumin (if you like it) for one brisket. Remember, Jerod did 10 briskets with his 8x mix.

BBBR 2.0
            Turbinado Sugar- 1/2 C
            Black Pepper- 1/2 C + 2.5 Tbs
            Onion Powder- 3/8 C + 2.3 tsp
            Mustard Powder- 3.5 Tbs
            Garlic Powder- 3.5 Tbs
            Chili Powder- 3.5 Tbs
            Cayenne- 1 Tbs + 2.3 tsp
            Cumin- 1 tsp

Very good feedback. People were asking who in the world had cooked the stuff. One lady ate at a BBQ joint in town the day before. Said it paled in comparison to the stuff I cooked and chopped.
            Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 22, 2016, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome ... Congrats! Do you find that the Turninado sugar makes a big difference?

• slefkoff
              slefkoff commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! Will be making it this weekend.

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Guest I couldn't really tell. I wanted to up the molasses content without messing with brown sugar. I know the Turbinado I covered the pork butts with before putting in the smoker helped. The rub I use on the butts has no sugar.

Just made the batch for my weekend brisket. Tastes spicy (I guess because of the cayenne). Will that dissipate a bit as the smoke penetrates the meat and it cooks?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I can never tell it is there unless I 2x the cayenne and pile it thick on the edges.

• slefkoff
              slefkoff commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotcha. So it won't be that hot after cooking right? I'd be fine with it but have a feeling not everyone in my group would feel that way (I'll leave judgment on them for a later time)

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here