Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you amp up the BBBR??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you amp up the BBBR??

I already use ancho chili powder, cumin, and next batch will have some brown sugar. More sugar can only help the maillard.

Barry Sorkin uses 14 ingredients!!

How about some Pico De Gallo seasoning? It's a Mexican flavored, moderately hot spice but man is it good. My wife makes our rubs and it's a staple in every one regardless of the meat.

Comment

Cool. I'll look into it. I cook in a Pit Barrel so it is hard to make significant gains.

Comment

How much of Pico De Gallo seasoning do you add to your rub ribeyeguy

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
          How much of Pico De Gallo seasoning do you add to your rub ribeyeguy
          Honestly? No idea. My wife makes all of our rubs and sauces so I'll have to check with her. She's sleeping right now so I'll ask her tomorrow but I know what her answer is going to be, something like a pinch, a fingerful or some other off the wall measurement. I'll try and pin her down and let you know.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Does it have salt?

• ribeyeguy
            ribeyeguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes. In addition to salt the only other ingredient it lists is mixed hot chile peppers. Here's a link to the brand that she uses, it's available here in grocery stores.

Melissa’s introduces Pico de Gallo Seasoning (Don Enrique® Brand) spice - a simple, yet zesty blend of mixed hot peppers, this popular Mexican seasoning can be used together with a traditional splash of fresh lime to create a unique taste.

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!!

For me amping it up means adding more!

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto that.

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            I tried that. It didn't amp it up, just made it overpowering. Looking for a little more complexity.

Dill seeds.

Comment

Hmmm.....interesting.

Have to do some testing later.

Comment

Beer, applied internally. Somehow, things just taste better with that ingredient included.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                So that's what you really mean by doing "curls."

• CurlingDog
                CurlingDog commented
                Editing a comment
                12 oz's at a time!

Barry Sorkin uses lemon pepper. And yes Huskee he lays it on a pretty thick. He also comes with another layer of black pepper on top of that.
              Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 9, 2016, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I really like lemon pepper on beef. I've discovered I have a problem with MSG and the base lemony rub I was using has MSG as ingredient #2. Last weekend's test cook, I did without -- not sure what to do!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Candy!! Sorry to hear about the MSG thing....

I sometimes use powdered horseradish when seasoning beef. Especially on my prime rib roasts. It gives it a little different of a kick then peppers do.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting. I love just salt and pepper on my steaks. But man that is so "blah" on my brisket.

curry powder, brown sugar, allspice, celery salt

Comment

I got the brown sugar added along with the cumin.

I adjusted the amounts of all other ingredients to keep the ratios the same as BBBR 1.0

I'll bust it out next week.

Comment

Lebanese seven spice blend is good.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                      Editing a comment
                      I'll have to save some of these for private testing......hehehehe That is, after I import some Cardamom. Another recipe has Fenugreek which goes well with the following- chicken, curries, legumes, potatoes, rabbit. That is more universal than universal studios.
                      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 9, 2016, 11:15 PM.

• Craigar
                      Craigar commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jerod Broussard http://www.friscospices.com/p-259-cardamon-ground.aspx It is only $42/lb.

• Jerod Broussard
                      Editing a comment
                      The wife would love that. "Coming up on 7News, an east Texas man shot and killed while developing a new beef brisket rub he dubbed BBBR2.0"

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here