Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rub pastes - water vs oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rub pastes - water vs oil

when making a rub paste, I see that Meathead recommends using oil for his Simon and Garfunkel rub but water for O'Leary's Cow Crust. Both rubs share some ingredients so I'm curious why we should use water for one and oil for the other?

Not sure how it might apply in this situation because like you said they share several of the same ingredients. In general though you would use oil for many herbs that are oil soluble and water where a lot of ingredients are water soluble. I personally use oil for everything, if something is water soluble it will get moisture from the hunk i'm cooking just fine. I have seen some lists of fat soluble herbs but really can't recall them at the moment, but that would be my best guess.
    I'm sure somebody smarter will be around shortly.

Welcome to the pit!

Comment

Welcome Jhiggins

Comment

Like DW said "Welcome"!!

Comment

Welcome Jhiggins! Meathead posted a while back that he may have to rethink his belief that oil soluble components in herbs and spices need oil for extraction. Haven't heard much since that one post, but I'm sure something will come out in the future.

Comment

Here's a link to the post Dr. is referring to:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...l-in-marinades

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here