Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fermented Hot Sauces.... here we go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the update!

To review, I have three ferments going, two are identical: jalapeños, carrots, and garlic; and the third is a blackberry, blueberry, and habanero thing.

The jalapeno one was the first one I did, and I wasn't as careful as I should have been. I probably could have gotten it all in jar, but I didn't realize one could crush the peppers down. I opened both jars and I was not assaulted with any off-putting smells. It smelled nice and briny, almost picked (which I suppose is exactly what I am doing!). One jar seems to be doing very well and I sampled a jalapeno piece. It tasted like....well, picked jalapeños!

The second jar of the jalapeno ferment has some problems. No off-putting smells, but there was a noticeable layer of kahm yeast on top of the brine. (Apparently, this is a frequent consequence of using too much brine and I did indeed have a lot that was above the fermentation weight.) Kahm yeast is harmless, but it can start to alter the flavor profile.

I did my best to spoon it out, but that is tricky. The yeast breaks up easily and it is really hard to get a spoon in there. I got most of it, but it undoubtably will come back and I will need to scoop every day. I toyed with dumping the brine, rising the peppers, and putting it in a new jar with a new brine, but I think I'm going to call this one done in four days (for two weeks of fermentation).

Now the third jar, the one I did decently carefully two days later taking into account lessons learned on the first.....oh wow. I see why people do this. The liquid is this lovely reddish purple, almost like a cabernet. Indeed, when I tasted it, it had wine-like qualities....and the flavor.....you get the fruit and then this lovely level of heat. I'm kinda excited about this one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5003 (1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.62 MB ID:	1088722

You can see in the above photo the difference between two jars on the left. The center was has much more brine above the fermentation weight. And look at that color of the rightmost one.

And the airlocks seem to be doing their job. No explosions or shattered glass thus far.
    Last edited by Michael_in_TX; September 5, 2021, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• Michael Brinton
      Michael Brinton commented
      Editing a comment
      Ever check out Chilichump on YouTube? He's got some good sauce making, bottling, growing videos. Great channel. https://youtube.com/c/Chillichump

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      Also highly recommend ChiliChump, lots of good info there. Pepper Geek is another good channel.

I prepared my first batch of the ferments today: the jalapenos, carrot, and garlic one. To the ferment, I added some Mexican oregano, cumin, and ancho chili powder plus some apple cider vinegar.

Got everything to a boil, simmered it for 15 minutes then, pureed it in a blender (only getting a little bit all over me and the kitchen).

This one turned out really good. Acidic with the mild flavor of the jalapenos augmented by the garlic and spices. I think the carrots come through slightly with some sweetness. Viscosity is perfect; I'm glad I did not strain. My only complaint is the heat level is less than I wanted. It's about on par with a typical Mexican restaurant salsa, so even less than Tabasco, I would say. Still very good. I'll make this again with some changes. (I think I'll fire-roast the jalapenos and add some more carrots. And I'll be careful about how much brine I used. That may have diluted things a bit. May add some serranos to up the heat.)

Very happy with how this first attempt turned out. It was better than the other two non-fermented ones I tried, by far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5004.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1090313

And, yes, I have stumbled up ChiliChump and The Pepper Geek. Amazing resources there.

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      One thing with green chilies if you're going to fire roast them and ferment: only roast 25-30%. Green chilies don't tend to ferment as vigorously as red chilies, and roasting kills all the Lactobacillus that does the fermentation.

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't even think about that....thank you.

Got some cayennes burbilng away as we speak! Thanks for the names of a couple of sites, I'll google them and check 'em out.

Comment

Blueberry-Blackberry-Habanero Hot Sauce: equal parts blueberries, blackberries, and habaneros fermented for eighteen days, mixed with a little vinegar and sugar, and strained. Tasty and hot. (The color is amazing.)

This one turned out good.....I'm actually thinking of trying it on some halibut tomorrow. If I didn't know what it was, you could have convinced me that the brine was a cheap cabernet. Deep wine-like purple. Gorgeous.

The blueberry and blackberry flavor is a little lost though.....perhaps because the bacteria ate all the sugars for lunch. There is a little tartness in the background that is nice. The heat doesn't hit you right away, but it builds up quickly and starts to get a little overwhelming.

I do like hot stuff, but I want something that I can eat more than a teaspoon-full size at a time.

This is the longest fermentation I've yet done and it went perfectly. No yeast issues what-so-ever. 3% salt mash.

Name:	IMG-5024.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1095656

Name:	IMG-5025.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1095657

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Very cool! Love this! Bottle it up and ship it out!

I've been thinking about making hot sauce for a while so this post by Michael_in_TX got me motivated. I planted habaneros for the first time this year intending to do something to preserve them near the end of the season. I started these fermenting today. I also did a jar of jalapenos a couple weeks ago as a test drive. That sauce is delicious. This one is mostly habs with a few red jalapenos and some garlic included. The green pepper is a hab that accidently got picked with the others.

Here's a link to the fermentation kit for rickgregory or anyone else interested.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hab sauce.jpg Views:	7 Size:	833.9 KB ID:	1096330
      Last edited by jerrybell; September 18, 2021, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        The spring inside is an interesting way to keep things submerged. Where'd you source it?

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here