Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aaron Franklin Method Question#1: Spritzing for "washing off the ash"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaron Franklin Method Question#1: Spritzing for "washing off the ash"

I've just finished reading Aaron Franklin's wonderful book, Franklin Barbecue. Here's one of two questions I have. (the second one is in another topic and has to do with brisket)

He spritzes meat (brisket, pork butts, sausages, etc. ) with water, applejuice, vinegar, etc. to wash off the fine ash that sits on top of it (for one reason). He says he often spritzes the meat to see the true color of the bark because the fine ash deposit can be misleading.

Sometimes, but seldom, honestly, I get a fine ash on the meat cooked in my PBC. I especially note it on sausages. Should I be rinsing that ash off with a spritz? I'm concerned more about flavor than about looks.

I thought my smoked hot Italian sausages tasted pretty good until I read his book and got "fine ash fear" !

Kathryn

P.S. I smoke on a Pit Barrel Cooker.

I've read his book too, some parts 3, 4 or 5 times. Aaron doesn't seem too worried about the flavor of a little fine ash as much as it may confuse the color which dictates his timing for when to wrap. He seems very OCD about both presentation & taste and doesn't seem to be concerned with either as far as ash is concerned. If it doesn't taste bad (like creosote) I wouldn't worry. On the other hand, I can't imagine a little spritz of apple juice would ever hurt anything and if it makes it look better, it's all good!

Comment

I've never knowingly eaten ash that I can see. For some reason, I always thought it would taste bitter, HorseDoctor . So that's not the case?

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc To be honest, he worries about it because, well, he's Aaron Freakin' Franklin. I just don't think its anything we need to worry about. Interesting to read about. But lets be honest, It's not like spritzing on the PBC is particularly convenient or necessary. I would think it would just be more trouble than its worth. When I get gigantic pits, have loyal following of thousands (maybe millions) make cameos in movies, kill it on the competition circuit, have TV Deals, a crazy good restaurant and the time and energy to worry about "fine ash" I will. But until that happens. I wouldn't worry about it.
        Last edited by Spinaker; August 22, 2015, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Hahaha, Spinaker . I like your perspective.

Kathryn

Comment

Pit Barrel ash tastes better than most folks' BBQ. fzxdoc

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Grin. I think you may be right about that, Jerod. Jerod Broussard

K.

we don't even give it a thought because it's so cheap and there's tons of it in every grocery store in the country, but it really wasn't all that long ago that salt was more of a luxury than just about any other food on earth. In those times, using ash for seasoning was actually quite common among the poor, so I don't in the least worry about it. Matter of fact, if you ever read Rosario Buonassissi's book about pizza, he will go into how great Italian pizza is actually flavored by the microscopic amount of ash on the floor of a wood burning oven.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmmm...good to know!

K.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here