Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syracuse Salt Potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to try these soon!

Comment

I was in my local grocery store the other day and thought I would show folks how Salt Potatoes are sold in Western and Central NY.
      5lb. bag - 4 1/4 lbs. of small white potatoes and a 3/4 lb. bag of salt.
      I have a friend that moved from this area to North Carolina a number of years back. When he visits, he buys around 2 dozen bags to bring back. They can be addictive
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2496A1F1-0AEA-42CD-98D1-9EEF88920F5E.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	934687

Comment

Heresy!!!!!!!!!!!! You are measuring dry ingredients with a wet measuring cup!!!!! OMG! You Blasphemed all that is PitMaster! LOL couldn't resist after such a crappy week.

Comment

Oh yeah, with PBR

Comment

AB has a recipe for the as well. That’s where I learned. I finish with melted butter and chives. We call them salty potato balls at home. Never knew they had a provenance!

Comment

Awesome - remember eating this growing up!

Comment

Originally posted by ssandy_561 View Post
                ​​
                I feel a little silly posting this because it’s not really a recipe. It’s more Science!

Last night to go with the grilled pork chops and green beans I made Syracuse Salt Potatoes.

If you have never made them think about making them. They are so simple but so good.

Traditionally they are made with B size white potatoes. All they had at the store was baby Yukon Gold potatoes, so I made them last night with them.

The only other things you need are Kosher salt (2 cups), melted butter and fresh parsley.

Start by filling your cooking pot with water.

Next dump in the 2 cups of salt and stir to dissolve (Don’t worry if it doesn’t all dissolve right away, it will)

Add your potatoes to the pot. Make sure they are all still whole and you have not broke the the skin on them or cut large pieces of the skin off. If you did you will get some very salty potatoes.

Now Science happens. They Float!

Bring to a boil and then cook for 15 to 25 minutes (Time depends on the average size of the whole potatoes). You want to boil until the potatoes are tender.

Drain the potatoes but do not rinse. If you rinse the Magic can’t happen. I went old school and used our circa 1970 something colander.

After the potatoes set for 5 to 10 minutes the skins will shrivel and a salt crust will form on them.

Then just poke, dip in the melted butter and sprinkle on the chopped parsley and Enjoy.

The potatoes are not really salty. You can taste salt but they are not a sodium bomb. Most of the salt gets poured down your sink when you drain them.

The potatoes also turn out super creamy. It’s almost like they are mashed potatoes inside their skin. This is also because of Science. I believe by adding the salt to the water you increase the waters boiling point and by boiling the potatoes at a higher temperature you affect the starches in them differently then if you boiled them
                normally.
                We have done these and they're magnificent. Reminds me, need small potatoes!

phbern, we do Utical Greens too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here