Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

French fries - WOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French fries - WOW!

In another post about french fries, pkadare linked to Kenji's french fry recipe. I made about 4 lbs Sat and froze them. Tonight I cooked some. They were the best fries I have ever made, and I seldom say "best ever" anything. If you love french fries, you need to try this recipe. And Spinaker , with your Cajun Fryer, this recipe was made for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20191028_183035[1].jpg
Views:	636
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	762457

Looks awesome!! I’m definitely trying these some day.

Comment

For home fries, Alton Brown bakes the potatoes the day before, then chills overnight in the fridge, then slice carefully into wedges and fry the next day. Basically a similar concept of pre-cooking. Since there’s no rinse they get a bit darker than these, but just perfect for steak fries.

https://www.eatlikenoone.com/alton-b...ipe-review.htm
      Last edited by Polarbear777; October 29, 2019, 07:17 AM.

Comment

I have only made them one time, they were really good. But, it is definitely something to do when you are sitting around not doing much to prep them in advance, they take a bit of time, but, like most things Kenji talks about, it is worth the time.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the key is quantity. Since it's a bit of work to get them ready to freeze, I made a bunch. After tonight's meal, I still have enough for 4 or 5 more meals. And it only takes a few minutes to cook them once the oil is up to temp.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I agree, if you are going to do this, consider it much like canning tomatoes, it's going to take a lot of time and oil accuracy(patience) to do it, so plan on a large batch. I will do that likely in the next few weeks. Thank you for the reminder of these fries.

Awesome! Thanks for posting, I will have to drop these in the fryer!

Comment

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          I have been looking at the Cajun Fryers and this post has peaked my interest. Spinaker which one do you have and do you typically fire it up for a single batch of fries or do you just use it for larger cooks? I am trying to figure out how I would use it for smaller cooks for just my wife and I. Or is it just not suited for that? I am looking at the 4 gallon.

My favorite method is to dial up GruHub and get them to bring me a super large, jumbo order of McDonald's fries to wow my guests !! I sever them on a silver platter to magnify the impact of my brilliant cook

Seriously though the McDonald's two-fry method was deconstructed a long time ago and it does work. The only thing I did pick up was the blanching before the hot initial fry. That may be a fine tuned step to make them even better. Nothing as good as a nice, crisp, salty batch of fries to go with that big old burger. Wow now I'm primed and ready for lunch .... yea baby !!!

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          When I tried these Sat, I did all the pre final fry stuff and after the fries cooled in the refrigerator, I fried some and they were very good. I froze the rest and yesterday I took the ones pictured above out and cooked them frozen. They were even better. My wife even said they were excellent.

Well I have to give this a try. Are Russet potatoes best?

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes - you want the inside to be light and fluffy. But there's nothing preventing you from trying a different potato. Just get one and try it.

DavidNorcross

"I have been looking at the Cajun Fryers and this post has peaked my interest. Spinaker which one do you have and do you typically fire it up for a single batch of fries or do you just use it for larger cooks? I am trying to figure out how I would use it for smaller cooks for just my wife and I. Or is it just not suited for that? I am looking at the 4 gallon."

I have the 4-Gallon Fryer. I use it all the time in the summer. It heats up really fast and it has no problem maintaining temps. I cook for me only, most of the time, so it will be perfect for you and your wife. The great thing is, you buy oil at the start of the season, then you are good to go for the year. Wings are my favorite thing to make, but you can fry anything in there. Egg rolls, wontons and dosas are some more of my favorite things to make.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Guilty of all of the above. LOL RonB

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks everyone. This one seems like it will be a new addition to the kitchen! Love this place....and all along I thought I knew how to cook fries.....

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, earlier on the 2020 wish list thread I mentioned this exact fryer...it has now moved to the top of the shortlist.

My "fries" come in 12oz bottles or cans. Gotta give somewhere.

Comment

Love them fries. Damn it all MCS Now I'm thinking I have to have A Cajun Cooker Thanks DavidNorcross and Spinaker

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Which cabinet smoker are you looking at? ofelles

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker T&K, Lone Star Grillz, and Pitmakers. Leaning toward the T&K. Finances need to come together first. Hopefully next year. Suggestions?

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I really like the Lone Star Grillz Cabinets. The finish is really clean and the inside of the smoker is more like an oven. The racks are stainless, which is easier to clean than the expanded steel. The T&K is a solid unit too. I have not really looked at the Pitmakers much. ofelles

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here