Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My favorite potato salad ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorite potato salad ever

There is a somewhat overrated bbq joint in nearby Louisville, Mark's Feed Store, that has the best potato salad I have ever had at a restaurant. I found a copycat recipe that ends up even a little better than the original. Enjoy!

P.S. Use Duke's mayonnaise for best results.

https://www.food.com/recipe/tastes-l...o-salad-250649
    Last edited by Steve R.; August 13, 2019, 10:58 PM.

+1 for Duke's! Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Duke's must be an East Coast thing, checked their locator and none around me, nor had I heard of it until reading about it on the forum. It appears if I wanted to try it I'd have to order online.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I order from Duke's website 4 at a time in the spring and fall (best weather for shipping such things, but I'm sure you already know that). About a month after I received one such order, another box showed up. When I opened it there was a note stating that my previous order was not up the their standards and to please accept 4 new jars of the good stuff. I'm a customer for life now.
        Last edited by CaptainMike; August 14, 2019, 07:43 AM.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Amazon Fresh carries it if they'll deliver to you

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, th Duke's jus shows up on my doorstep, regular-like...Life is too short; eat th Good Stuff, Brothers...

No Duke's in this area either.
      We've found Hellmans works better than Mircale Whip or any other generic Mayo with our Tater Salad but the one thing that makes it outstanding is using at least 1/3 to 1/2 Ranch Dressing to really ratchet up the taste.

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny. I never heard of Duke's before it was mentioned around here a few times lately, but I was watching TV and I saw it mentioned (can't remember if it was a commercial or a cooking show or whatever). Been Hellman's around here forever.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        smokin fool Try Duke's website. Not sure about Canada pricing though.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Did a search, as of a few weeks ago Duke's still not shipping to Canada.
        Amazon will ship it but at $32 for small and $49 for large jar plus shipping, didn't even ask for a quote on that, this is on hold for now.
        Who knows may trip over it one day at Walmart or Whole Foods.
        Going to Dallas in Sept will grab a coupla jars then if possible.

That recipe sounds good. Im a big fan of a spicy potato salad. Bobby flay has a killer one with some pureed chipotle in there and its awesome.

As for Duke's being an east coast thing...never heard of it here in jersey. Ill def try it if i see it. Was raised on hellmans and no other mayo tastes the same, lol.

Comment

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        Hellmans is owned by Best foods,on the west coast there is no Hellmans only "Best"
        The ad jingle"bring out the Hellmans and bring out the best alludes to that.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't rightly reckon Duke's is an East Coast thing, but rather a more Southern thing...

https://www.dukesmayo.com/stories/our-history/]
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 4, 2020, 06:46 PM.

Personally I gotta have dried mustard in potato salad as well as slaw.

Comment

Thanks for the recipe. Had never thought of adding milk to potato salad but now have to try it. As far as Dukes is concerned, wherever we were stationed I looked forward to care packages from relatives which always contained a jar or two of Dukes and a bottle of Carolina Treet.

Comment

i've been to that restaurant. i agree with it being so-so for most things i had but i had some great ribs

Comment

I am not partial to any one mayo (I even like the impostor called Miracle Whip), but my wife is a die hard Hellman's fan. She will only eat different brands if she has no choice.

Other than the milk, this sounds a lot like my potato salad. And I use spicy brown mustard instead of vinegar and a bit of white onion.

Comment

I like my Cajun potato salad with home made mayo. Have to order some Dukes.

Comment

Steve R.

My potato salad can kick your potato salad's butt no problem. And it has miracle whip in it!

Recipe as follows:
                1.5 lbs red potatoes, boiled
                1.5 C miracle whip
                1 C red onion minced
                3/4 C sweet pickle relish
                3 eggs hard boiled and chopped
                3 T yellow mustard

Pile all ingredients as listed as first ingredient at the bottom and so on, in a large bowl and fold together with a large spoon. The potatoes should be allowed to cool to be warm to the touch.

This is from memory from a unwritten recipe passed down and adjusted to my taste. It should be a dryer salad meaning it should not be wet with dressing. Feel free to adjust it to your taste. The potato weight may be off. I will double check it asap.
                Last edited by lostclusters; August 14, 2019, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My potato salad is a lover, not a fighter.

• ofelles
                  ofelles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ditto ✌

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is the recipe for Goldsboro Potato Salad here on the east coast, except for the Miracle Whip.🙂 It is the one most requested by my family and friends, so I know you know good potato salad.
                  Last edited by Donw; August 15, 2019, 10:58 AM.

The company that owned/made Dukes was the 100+ year old Virginia based family business the C. F. Sauer company. Unfortunately, the family sold their business to a private equity firm in North Carolina a couple of months ago. Now that can be good or bad. Perhaps the new owner will work to strengthen Sauer/Dukes products and perhaps seek wider national distribution or, perhaps the equity firm will break the company into pieces and sell it off to other companies. Or maybe they'll tweak recipes/ingredients to lower costs and increase profit margins. Nobody knows at this point.

Fingers crossed tho that they don't do anything to mess up the basic Dukes Mayo that many of us have used our entire lives!! I haven't felt the need to start hoarding jars of Duke's...yet. But I have cleared space in the pantry to store a dozen or two jars just in case.

Comment

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Keeping fingers crossed. At least it wasn’t Roark who bought them.

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What's the shelf life?

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hope nothing changes with Duke's. I'll live regardless, it being just mayo and all, but I still hope.

Any other blasphemers here that don't like egg in their potato salad?

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ItsAllGoneToTheDogs that's me with creamed corn.

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gotta have eggs....

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ItsAllGoneToTheDogs I'm the opposite when it comes to water, malt, hops, and yeast. I don't care for them separately but really, really like it when they are mixed together!

I'm stunned. Not one mention of radishes on this entire page?

Comment

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Okay Murdy , what have you started. Mentioned to my wife about radishes in potato salad and she said "That sounds good." So next time I make it, she wants me to make extra with radishes to try it out. 🙂

• Murdy
                  Murdy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HAH, Told you! I have never made potato salad without radishes. In fact, I worked in a place that made it for sale, and that's where I learned it.

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hmm...it would add some additional color. I will have to mention it to my wife when she makes her next batch.

How about bbbbbbb-bacon?

Comment

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have actually considered going all out and making it a loaded potato salad. I see no downside to this!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here