Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another french fry method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another french fry method

This is from ATK via Thermoworks.

Basically you cut up the potatoes and put them in cold oil, (they recommend adding some bacon grease - YES!), and fry them at a lower temp than what you would expect. Here's a link to their post:

Do you want tasty, hot homemade french fries, but don't want all the hassle of rinsing, soaking, and double frying? We have a one-step method that is the answer! Grab your Thermapen, and make some golden french fries.

This is very close to the method I normally use. The differences being that I use russets and after the fries are cooked, I raise the temp to ~ 350* to brown the fries.

I saw that recipe. The only problem I have with it is that, according to the recipe, the fries get mushy the longer they stay out. The recommendation is to eat them right away as long as you don't burn your mouth. I figure that they'll be out for a while, especially if there's a crowd, and people mill around as typically happens, and they "graze" instead of "eat."

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought the same thing. Timing might be more critical using this method. When I cook, I like everything to be ready and still hot, and I want the fries crispy. I'm gonna try these, and I will put a few in a warm oven to see how they hold.

In my world "optional" bacon grease isn’t 😂 We’ll use it to make popcorn sometimes too, how can you go wrong? 🥓🥓🥓 Thanks for sharing that one RonB

Comment

French fries have always been a whole food group to me, love ‘em !!! What’s interesting is they claim this method absorbs 13% less oil, seems counter intuitive.

They also stress the use of Youkon Golds due to less starch versus other types. Don’t know if russets would qualify for this method. Give it a try and let us know.

Comment

I was ruined 50 years ago on french fries. We had a corner grease pt that absolutely made the best fries I have ever eaten. The name of the place was Fuzzies. He cut them fresh, and when he fried them in the bacon/grease they came out well done and browned but kind of limp and greasy. He salted the hell out of them and when you poured on the ketchup it was amazing. Sounds horrible from the description but those fries were the best I have ever eaten. Couple them up with a red beer and a Fuzzy Burger and you were kind of set for a night of partying.

Comment

Horrible sounds great Cheef!

Comment

Local legend had it that eating at Fuzzies before or after a night of partying prevented hangovers. Never worked for me.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Worth a try, at that point, brother!
              Sorry it didn't work out as advertised...

I've done this with some small potatoes that I quartered. It worked pretty well and was less messy than actually frying things the traditional way.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here