Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe for grilled or baked french fries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe for grilled or baked french fries?

Howdy!

Does anyone have a recipe they enjoy for either grilling, or baking in the oven, french fries?

I'm a fan of steak fries, but looking for something I can make at home rather than grab at local restaurants.

The problem is that some of the local restaurants make rather delicious fries, so I'm looking to compete somehow, without actually having a deep fryer :-)

Thanks for your thoughts!
    -Eric

The trick to making good fries is to cook the spuds twice, as well as using a potato such as russets. What I do, regardless of wether I grill, bake, or fry, is to take the whole spuds and simmer in salted water till cooked through, but still hard. Cool the spuds, cut to whatever size and shape you like, then toss with a bit of oil and bake or grill. If you bake, shoot for a minimum temp of 400-450, as you are just browning these spuds. As they brown, you'll get that lovely goodness that only steak fries have. When they are browned, they are done. This base method also works with hash browns too. I used to make 100+ pounds of hash browns a day using this method of simmering(do NOT boil) spuds, then grating. This is a very basic technique in Continental Cuisine. You start with the "base" spuds, then finish to what your recipe calls for.
    I hope this can help...
    Good cooking from Houston, Alaska!

Comment

How about some slow fried french fries? This is probably the easiest and least messy method I have used to make french fries and my wife and I love them. Don't put too many potatoes in the oil because that really slows down the cooking time. The wider the pot, the more fries you can make. This recipe is from Bon Appetite:
      • "Peel 2 lb. large russet potatoes; cut into long french-fry sticks, about 3/8x3/8 inches thick. Rinse; shake off water.
      • Transfer potatoes to a large deep heavy pot, spreading potatoes so they're no more than 2 layers deep. Pour in safflower or vegetable oil to cover potatoes by 1". Place pot over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes (oil will begin bubbling gently). Continue cooking, occasionally loosening potatoes from the bottom of the pot with a heatproof spatula, until potatoes are very tender, 25–30 minutes more. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes longer (oil will bubble more vigorously).
      • Using a slotted spoon, transfer fries to paper towels to drain. Season with coarse sea salt.

• Recipe by Adam Rapoport"

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here