Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill Basket Potato Wedges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill Basket Potato Wedges

Does anyone have any experience with grill basket potato wedges? I've been working on perfecting them for some time and feel like I am coming close. My recipe / technique is below, would love any feedback, tips or suggestions.

Start with Yukon Gold potatoes

1. Rinse off well
    2. Cut in half length-wise
    3. Lay each half flat, cut side down and slide off 1/2" to 3/4" thick half-moon wedges
    4. Soak in water for 30 - 40 minutes
    5. Dry thoroughly
    6. Toss in peanut oil, salt and pepper
    7. Pre heat grill basket medium high
    8. Toss in potatoes, cook for 40 - 50 minutes, tossing every 8 - 10 minutes
    9. During the last 15 minutes of cooking brush once or twice with more peanut oil

I have been getting nice, crisp on the outside, soft on the inside wedges. My only challenge is it is hard to get these perfect consistently. I have a Weber Genesis with nice temperature control. Trying to figure out if I should target higher or lower heat, use more or less oil and get the soaking time / starch content right.

What happens if you don't soak? Sounds like a great plan, I just may try! (I need a basket though, hmmmm)

Comment

Trying skipping the soaking and boil them in salted, vinegared water instead for about 10 minutes. Maybe even add some herbs and garlic to the boiling water. The water should taste like sea water.
      Potatoes do mot like low heat, blast them.
      When you toss them try coating them with more oil.

Comment

I bought a grill basket and used once and haven't since. I tried grilling potatoes in it and to have enough potatoes for a complete dinner the basket was so full I couldn't toss the potatoes around. I actually in mid cook removed from the basket and put on my grill platter.

What I do is, I use red skin potatoes because they hold their shape and don't get mushy. I clean them thoroughly and leave the skins on. I cut them in large wedges (to allow for shrinkage). I put them in cold water and then boil until just a small crisp in the middle (par cook). Don't want to leave too crunchy and don't want to cook all the way through. You want to leave enough to complete on the grill. I do not use salt in the water to avoid the double salt jeopardy. After they are ready I strain and wash off any starch and then toss them with canola oil (withstands the high heat on the grill) and kosher salt. and then they go to the grill. I grill on a large grill platter, that way each potato is being kissed by the fire, no stacking. Half way through the cook on the grill I take onions that I have tossed in the oil and salt and add them to the potatoes (I have added at the same time as the potatoes but the onions cook faster than the potatoes and burn). I have also added red/yellow peppers at this time too. After they are cooked I put in a bowl and add some fresh herbs. Voila!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0781.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	20291

Comment

• Mal Passado
          Mal Passado commented
          Editing a comment
          PS...I have tried cooking completely on the grill without boiling before, but it takes toooooooooo long to finish and I have found that it is easy to burn the potatoes before they are done on the inside.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here