Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baked Potatoes on low-n-slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baked Potatoes on low-n-slow?

Howdy all...

Trying to see if cooking some baked potatoes around 250°f would work - figure about maybe 2 hours for 3 of them? Would they dry out? Am going to coat in oil and crust with kosher salt - smoke with hickory.

The reason I am looking to go this route is that I am reverse-searing some filets and figured about an hour and half before the potatoes are finished I'd have the filets join them in the smoker for the first part of the reverse-sear cook.

Anyone with experience on this'n?

Thanks.

~Gunsmokers~

That will work, however, an easier method is to nuke the potatoes for 6 to 8 minutes, then put them in the cooker around the same time you throw the steaks on. If the potatoes don't get done by the time the steak is done you can nuke them another minute or two, but you probably won't need to do this.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the nuking process. I even do that indoors. I nuke them about 6 minutes and then paint them in OO and put them in the oven at 350°, to firm up the skins.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I second what David Parrish says. Like you I also coat with oil and salt them down a bit. Be careful when you nuke them that you don't split the skins open though! (Ask me how I know this)

I tried 'em a couple years ago but didn't take good notes. But I remember them taking for-ev-er and needing to go up to near boiling point, say at least 205+ to be good (like BBQ meats). But knowing that going in they might not seem to take nearly as long. I expected a quicker cook so I remember being disappointed how long it took. Your plan sounds solid to me, but actual timing I just don't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
      I tried 'em a couple years ago but didn't take good notes. But I remember them taking for-ev-er and needing to go up to near boiling point, say at least 205+ to be good (like BBQ meats). But knowing that going in they might not seem to take nearly as long. I expected a quicker cook so I remember being disappointed how long it took. Your plan sounds solid to me, but actual timing I just don't remember.

Thanks...yeah, time is not a concern - if it takes longer that'll work too.

~Gunsmokers~

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
        That will work, however, an easier method is to nuke the potatoes for 6 to 8 minutes, then put them in the cooker around the same time you throw the steaks on. If the potatoes don't get done by the time the steak is done you can nuke them another minute or two, but you probably won't need to do this.
        Thanks!

~Gunsmokers~

Comment

I like to boil them for 30-45 mins, take them out of the water and let them cool then cut them in half length wise, brush alittle OO, some S&P and then grill them. I'm trying to think who's book I seen that in??? Dang, I must be getting old.

Comment

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            Plus one for this method, I usually steam them rather than boil, but regardless, it's like reverse searing for potatoes, they get a crispy and delicious crust while being soft and buttery throughout.

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly bbqoaf ....I remember what book it was now...it was Bobby Flay's Barbeque Addiction book
            Last edited by DWCowles; April 27, 2016, 03:47 PM.

I think you'll find that two hours is not nearly long enough. At 225 mine have taken 5-6 hours.

Comment

Thanks y'all - just going to do them in the smoker at the 325° f temp - should take about 1hr 30 minutes or so (or until it reaches internal temp of 210°). When they are done, will place them in the oven to stay warm, bring the temp down to 250° f for the steaks. When those are done we will enjoy our steak-n-tato.

Appreciate the responses.

Cheers

~Gunsmokers~
            Last edited by Gunsmokers; April 27, 2016, 11:24 AM.

Comment

check out Dr Blonders take on 'taters:
              invention, future, greg blonder,cBBQ, food science, genuineideas, toys, genes, darwin, growth of internet, venture capital, deep time

Comment

Originally posted by CurlingDog View Post
                check out Dr Blonders take on 'taters:
                invention, future, greg blonder,cBBQ, food science, genuineideas, toys, genes, darwin, growth of internet, venture capital, deep time
                Whoa! Far out - the 'science' of the baked potato - thanks for sharing!

~Gunsmokers~

Comment

Ever think about making once baked and 2nd smoked baked potatoes? Just think twice baked potatoes but you reheat on the smoker. This gives you a chance to make some potato skin appetizers😋🍻

Comment

I'm going to give the longer cook at 225 a go today. The thinking is I can cook the taters along side of a slab of St. Louis ribs. Allocating 5 hours and I'll update later on the results.

Comment

JB3 here is a link to how i do them being you are doing ribs the extended time should work
                      ​​​​​​​https://www.splendidtable.org/recipe...moked-potatoes

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here