Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epic failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic failure

i saw a faux blooming onion hack, looked at some reviews and saw that the "breading" didn’t stay on. Decided to give it a shot.

Took our apple slicer, sliced off the top of the onion, peeled and sliced almost to the root.

Egg wash to bread crumbs then carefully repeated and made sure I got plenty of crumbs between the "petals." Baked an hour.

Thinking I might have overshot on the crumbs. It was awful! Threw it out.

If I try again, the fryer is coming out and so is the flour!

Would an air fryer work for this?

Attached Files

I'd add a lot of hot sauce or hot salsa and jump right in. There's got to be a tasty onion under all of that.

But Wow! that's a lot of breading. Live and learn. At least it wasn't a brisket.

Kathryn

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, it was only an onion, fzxdoc !

Nothing could have saved this thing, trust me! Not hot sauce, salsa nor any other condiment! Only the trash.

But the good news is that I have some bread crumbs for a meatloaf!
      Last edited by richinlbrg; August 10, 2020, 08:11 AM.

Thanx for takin' one for the team. Here is my favorite recipe for onion rings or strings. It might be adaptable to a bloomin' onion.

Please note: This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. Thank you for listening.

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, RonB ! Will give this one a whirl!

U sure that isn’t a mushroom from deep inside a tropical rain forrest somewhere ?

Comment

I would imagine that an all batter dip w/o the chunky breading would give you the look you're likely expecting.

Comment

I often make onion rings using this simple method.
        Slice onion to desired ring thickness.
        Place in a bowl and cover with cold water and into the freezer and remove when the top starts icing over.
        Meantime in a bag add as much flour needed for the amount of onions with whatever seasoning you want.
        Drain the rings and toss into bag and shake to coat O' rings.
        Deep fry in oil.
        Works for me and I prefer thinner rings.

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, @wholehogg ! looks pretty easy! Onion rings have not been on my radar for some reason, but I love them!
          Last edited by richinlbrg; August 10, 2020, 10:59 AM.

Looks like a sand castle version of Chichen Itza. I admire the attempt!

Comment

If you are going to fail, fail big!

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            On that count, I succeeded!

I can laugh at myself! And do frequently.

We've had an air fryer for about a week. So I'm no expert.
          But I think the air fryer will help. It makes other things crispy.

Saw this recipe...... It looks pretty legit.

Comment

It sure on the posted recipes but my breading never fails.

season product
            dredge in well seasoned Sifted flour, shakoff excess

dredge is well seasoned eaggwash 8 eggs to 1 qt of liquid and buzzed with hand blender or stick blender preferred. Shake off excess

then into panko or desired crumb. I stay away from seasoned bread crumbs (Italian etc) as they take like the cardboard box.

that is a bomb ass first class fry job sir. I can’t believe it all stayed on.

We all learn from you sir.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here