Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review of Meathead’s Recipe for Muffings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review of Meathead’s Recipe for Muffings

I was gonna make lasagna today but I decided against it. Perhaps because it’s a veggie lasagna. Now I have eggplants, squash, mushrooms and peppers burning a hole in my wife’s pocket.

Full disclosure I am a Stove Top kind of guy. I read through this recipe and said to myself, really? After contemplating the simplicity of this recipe I realized everything is there. Sweet and salty and all the rest.

I whipped up a gallon of chix stock yesterday in anticipation of making stuffing for Thanksgiving so I just used that.

For the bread I used Trader Joe’s Challah and some prehistoric croutons Sophia made that were laying around next to a square wheel and abacus.

Many around these parts know that I’m not a huge fan of dry thyme so I used fresh thyme and fresh sage because I had it.

For the apples I used Fuji because they were the cheapest at Sams. (BTW the Apple were amazing from the Sams in Fountain Valley.)

Meathead The recipe itself is pretty straightforward, easy to understand and follow as usual.

The prep was simple and quick. I cut the onion into a small dice and a Brunoise on the celery. The bread I cut into a medium dice (mostly) and there were the croutons. I then toasted them in the oven. The herbs I sliced thoroughly and better than doubled the quantity.

I sweat the veg with additional fresh thyme.

There were no significant changes to the recipe and below are the results.

These Muffings are Fantastic!! Easy money and seriously good. They will make you look like a hero.

As far as any changes I personally would add more butter, such as an infused herb n sage butter. I also will cook on convection next time. And lastly more fresh herb and a spot of acid. NONE OF THESE CHANGES ARE NECESSARY. This is a great recipe just as it is. I’m going to use it this way before I go messing with it.

Thank you Meathead for reviving this one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6B26368C-FBE8-41D2-A9CD-848AFCDEA010.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	2.86 MB ID:	770131

Click image for larger version  Name:	E6EEF9DA-6533-4F77-AE0F-A8E58052FF77.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	770132

Click image for larger version  Name:	5E95EB6E-759E-4B2D-91C9-11F9DFF4CC27.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	770134

Click image for larger version  Name:	37106D75-4466-4541-8185-D06E7B5C5C92.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	3.42 MB ID:	770133

Click image for larger version  Name:	5C07A61F-5E9D-4093-B263-B679E7841AFF.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	2.87 MB ID:	770135

Click image for larger version  Name:	E5B21CD9-5361-4B28-A6CE-1B76B1C09D50.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	770137
    Click image for larger version  Name:	E497B668-9648-4D83-BD45-80981762FD01.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	770136

Click image for larger version  Name:	2EE5AA98-1508-408F-BA8A-9028B2AEDD17.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	770138

Click image for larger version  Name:	E0A0B6B3-9471-4093-8E24-328099E0EB1E.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	770139

Last edited by HouseHomey; November 17, 2019, 03:46 PM.

Nice!!!

Comment

I’ve made them before and they are really great!

Comment

Nice HH, thanks for the write up. I wonder how some spicy sage sausage might kick it up a notch.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          A whole lot. These are super good.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          We combine a tube of hot and sage sausage. Yum

HouseHomey Praise from you is especially warm. Do me a favor? The recipe has more than its fair share of skeptics. Could you post an endorsement to the comments on the recipe page?

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure, isn’t that where I put it?? I’m confused.

Anyone??

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh... the free side. Sure thing!

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, on the page with the recipe on the free side.

Darn photos! I guess I will have to try this.

Comment

Recipe: Meathead's "Muffings", aka Stuffin' Muffins
          Step up your next holiday meal with this delicious recipe for sausage, sage and cranberry stuffing inspired by Chef David Rosengarten. Instead of serving an entire bowl of stuffing, this recipe calls for baking it in muffin pans to get them nice and crispy on all sides. Everyone gets a stuffing muffin, aka Muffing!

I'm normally not a fan of anything sweet in stuff like this, but I love everything about the rest of this!

Comment

Hmmmmm. Having just made two trays of my very meaty stuffing, I'm now looking closely at this recipe. It sure would be nice for those "dinners for two" evenings with PBC smoked chicken--made in advance and frozen for just such an occasion, muffin-by-muffn.

But for Thanksgiving, this year at least, the family is stuck with Mom's meaty meaty stuffing.

Thanks for the writeup, HouseHomey , and for the thoughtful recipe, Meathead . For sure I will give it a go. Beats the heck out of Stove Top.

Kathryn

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh Kathryn! You had me at "Meaty Meaty" then you dissed Stove Top. Such heartache in my life. Ha! Funny thing is that I never considered meat until CaptainMike mentioned it above. I was in veggy mode. I will happily eat anything you call meaty or any chicken off your PBC.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              HouseHomey, I use all the meat from a PBC chicken plus a pound of Jimmy Dean's Hot breakfast sausage in my stuffing. If I wanted to eat bread alone, I'd have toast. Hahaha.

K.

I think I just inadvertently "Flagged" a post on this thread. I don't know whose it was, but it was an accident.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Taken care of.

Your pictures got to me. Like you, i often go with stovetop, but you made those look so good, and i love stuffing. Thanks, i will try.

Comment

I made these two weeks ago and they were excellent. Great simple recipe by Meathead - not bad for a gator. My recommendation is to use fresh sage and thyme if you have it - it makes a huge difference over dry herbs. Heck, just save money and grow your own.

Last year I used the muffing method to cook Kenji’s sausage and sage stuffing and I don’t think I will ever use any other method to make stuffing. You can freeze them in individual servings as fzxdoc mentioned, which is nice.
              Last edited by ColonialDawg; November 18, 2019, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                I was thinking of making some sausage today and giving another shot at some smaller ones. I ate two yesterday and they are about 6oz (4oz?) each. I only managed a bowl of cereal for dinner as I was still full.

• ColonialDawg
                ColonialDawg commented
                Editing a comment
                You can also save some and make stuffing waffles (a Kenji tip) with maple syrup.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here