Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sides to go with Smoked Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sides to go with Smoked Turkey

I am going to smoke the thanksgiving turkey on the Pit Barrel Cooker this year so am planning on no drippings for gravy. I realize with a little creativity there could be drippings but will not be doing that so don't need ideas on how to capture them. Looking for ideas on other sides that would go well with smoked bird on turkey day. Thanks!

Corn bread stuffing works well with apple and sausage. Also cranberry flavored deserts go well with smoke. Cauliflower mashed works well too. Be creative and have fun.

Comment

I was watching Ina Garten on TFN yesterday, and she made this mushroom and leek bread pudding that looked pretty good:

Comment

I’m doing cornbread in the smoker. The plan is to spatchcock the turkey and use the extendo-racks for the cornbread tray.

Comment

Baked potato casserole. Some kind of extra creamy corn. Yam casserole. Monkey Bread. All went well with my turkey today.

Comment

My wife is a cheesecake master so there will be that. Pumpkin cheesecake actually. Also there will be stuffing. And mashed potatoes (with cream cheese). Southern green beans (bacon added). Also rootebeger because I like it. And fried ocra because again I like it.

But MY man task is the turkey and cornbread. Which I have under control. Not even worried. My Primo is my friend. It has never let me down.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Does your wife ship those bad boys anywhere in the continental United States?

• SmokeyGator
              SmokeyGator commented
              Editing a comment
              Not a bad idea, but right now that would be difficult. Production capability would be limited to not enough to be worth it.

Smoked Mac and Cheese seems like a winner, if you're not starched out.
            Cornbread stuffing of some sort, green beans or a green of some sort.
            I think cranberry sauce is ultimately the MVP of any T-day feast, because it's the only bright acidity in a meal which is heavy with sides, starches and richness. That any any wine/beer pairing. We're rocking a nice hard cider, with a moscato d'asti to pair with the pie.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              didn't know one could get starched out. the other night I had poke chops, french fries, and rolls, and regretted not having rice with the poke chops

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              BTW- I learn more from your posts since I have to google something in every other sentence.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              One year we had turkey, cran, Kenji’s ultimate green bean casserole (rich), sweet potatoes, stuffing, and bread. It was a stodgy plate. Cran and wine saved the day. I love that Kenji GBC, but it’s too much for T-day unless it’s the only side.

Can't go wrong with sauted green beans with shallots and shiitake mushrooms, quick and easy with minimal dishes.

Comment

We're going with muffings and mashed potatoes. A vegetable "might" be involved...

Comment

We made potatoes au gratin with our turkey tonight. Nice variation on a theme for a potato dish.

Comment

No disrespect intended, but whatever is fine. The usual sides will work, no problem. The turkey will be that good.

Comment

If I was just smoking a turkey and didn't have any drippings for gravy these potatoes would definitely be on the menu: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...-food-lab.html. Those will be on the Christmas menu for sure.

But I am smoking one turkey and roasting another. Mostly so I can have some drippings for gravy. Mashed potatoes and gravy might be my favorite food on Thanksgiving.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’ve made that and whoa baby is it good.

doing smoked bacon mac & triple cheese, cajun cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, loaded radish salad, green bean almonde, Great Grammy's meatballs (family recipe), grilled corn, spicy mustard greens, bacon saute brussel sprouts, cranberry sauce, and assorted pies

Comment

Wow! So many choices! We are going to go with cornbread in the smoker, smoked mac and cheese, roasted vegetables with brussel sprouts and butternut squash, and hasselback potato gratin. For us this will be a Thanksgiving meal like no other. Thanks everyone! Have a great Thanksgiving and "May the Fork be With You"!

Comment

Great picks. If you still want to have gravy, my wife has made stock for it for years roasting turkey wings. No drippings necessary.

Comment

• EdF
                          EdF commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It just works!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here