Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to keep "muffings" warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to keep "muffings" warm

(Not entirely sure if this belongs here or in the baking topic...)

So I'm thinking about making the Stuffing Muffins or "Muffings" recipe here https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...muffins-recipe for our work Thanksgiving pot-luck. The part I haven't figured out is assuming I make them that morning, I still have to transport them and have them keep for some amount of time until its lunch time. Any suggestions as to how to do that successfully and not just have cold stuffing blocks sitting there?

Just speculating, but why not wrap them in foil and a couple of towels and throw them in a cooler (the old "faux cambro" trick"? You could even prewarm the cooler by running hot water through it then drying before putting them in there. Looks like you're talking 4-5 hours, which will definitely work.

Comment

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent suggestion, I don't know why I didn't think about a faux cambro for something other than meat...

You could also add a, (some), microwave heat packs to the cambro to help keep them warm longer. And you might want to do a trial run to make sure this works.

Comment

I don't know what you're driving. I put a table-top roaster in my truck, set to warm, plugged into an invertor, when I need to carry hot food somewhere. I wrap the food and put a dish towel between the food and lid. Something like that maybe? (I too also do the C2 - Cooler Cambro.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nesco Table Top.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	589310

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        Also a good idea. I think our roaster won't be quite big enough this time, but for future use, we do have an inverter from back when the boy needed it to watch dvds on long trips. Oh, and I'm driving a 2014 F150 SuperCrew. So lots of space

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181115_130344.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	593237Click image for larger version

Name:	20181115_114503.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	593238

The faux cambro worked like a charm.

afterwards
      Attached Files

Comment

I made these last year, with pretty mixed results. I found I need to add some fat of some kind. That is my only gripe with doing the spatchcocked bird. I don't get that glorious, fat-soaked dressing. Muffings help in that they allow you have some stuffing, but they need FAT!

Comment

The 2 sticks of butter used for cooking the celery, onions, and mushrooms seemed to do the trick as far as fat. Normally I'd cook and chop up some turkey/chicken innards as well, but am saving the ones in the freezer for next week.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here