Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do ya like french fries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do ya like french fries?

Thermoworks just put up a new blog post on french fries. I thought some here might find it interesting:

https://blog.thermoworks.com/2018/01...es-Oil-Test-cs

Good info. Thanks.

Comment

Interesting

Comment

That was in the email alert I get from them haven't had a chance to read it yet. They put out some good info. Successful deep frying of anything relies on proper and steady oil temp.
        Thanks for posting!

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree. Good info and thoughtful

Kenji KNOWS french fries too. Along with a billion other things.

Great article. Thanks RonB

Comment

Good reading, thanks. Watch out for that bubble over when you are adding the fries!

Comment

I like the title to this, kinda like "Do you like good music, yeah yeah, that sweet soul music, yeah yeah, spotlight on French fries now, yeah yeah, we now know how to fry them suckers up, yeah yeah...oh yeah, oh oh yeah yeah...."

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Good Gosh Almighty!!!!!

This gives me a thread idea.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Here we go!

For easy steak fries, bake the potatoes the day before and refrigerate. The next day slice and deep fry in tallow or duck fat. If you’ve been trimming your beef bbq cuts, you should have plenty for tallow.

Its like a double fry, but simpler to get right.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanx - I'll have to give this a try.

Who doesn't love Fries?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              well.........

• Cheef
              Cheef commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed with Jerod. I can eat them but only covered in ketchup.

I just made 3 quarts of beef tallow but we usually bake our fry wedges. I was thinking about using peanut oil with a little beef tallow in it for the next time. Hopefully will not have that bubbling over issue...

Comment

Just read that a while ago. Good info!

Comment

have been frying in beef tallow for a long time. Only way to go.

Comment

I haven't made fries(but should). An idea I have is for beer battered,is make some extra crispy bacon, crumble it almost to powder,add to batter,and fry.I don't know if this would work but thought I'd put it out there.

Comment

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There used to be a local grocery that battered their potato wedges and fried them. I don't know why your idea wouldn't work - sounds great to me.

I would add the bacon just before dredging the fries though. The flour might clump otherwise.
                    Last edited by RonB; January 22, 2018, 07:15 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here