Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook with the Lodge Dutch Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook with the Lodge Dutch Oven

Just got a new Lodge 5qt Dutch Oven today, so just had to break it in with a batch of Smoked Mac and Cheese.

The cheese sauce was made from a basic roux, to which I added about 2 cups of milk, a cup of shredded cheddar, a cup of Mozzarella, a package (3 1/2oz) crumbled goat cheese, and a very generous dollop of sour cream, and various spices (cayenne, Old Bay, curry, paprika, and salt). I dumped the mac into the sauce mixed, then poured a little over half into the Lodge and covered that with a layer of shredded cheddar. I added the rest of the mac and covered that with a thin layer of Mozzarella and set it in the smoker with the lid off for about an hour and a half. I covered it at that point and let it go til the ribs were done, which was about another hour or so.

Using the Dutch oven did exactly what I was hoping for: a smoky flavor and a brown crust. Interestingly enough, the crust didn't really start to form until after I put the cover on.

Next time I want to add a bit of Worcestershire sauce and about a 1/4 cup of heavy cream for some of the milk.

The ribs are my standard, it was the Mac and Cheese that was the star of this meal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170327_181323.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	295385

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170327_183456.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	295386

Dang that looks good boftx I will be going some baked beans in mine Saturday

Comment

Fine lookin' food, great informative post!!!
      Thanks!!!

Comment

A good lookin' meal.

Comment

Yes! Congrats on the new piece.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Damn you did it again my brother. No pets or was that a future pork butt in that last avatar? Maybe I'm just loosing it. I don't know. It's all good.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I needed a better "Mug Shot" hehehe Steve B

I have two. You are going to love that thing! Keep it seasoned after the cooks. Try this one day - instead of wrapping when you get to the pork butt stall put it in the dutch oven. You can even crack the lid after a bit to let some of the moisture cook off. You may really like it as an alternative.

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds like a damn good idea. I usually boat my pork butts to collect the juice for a sauce, so that would work just fine for me.

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            If it is a big butt you may have to cut it and manipulate it a bit to get it to fit. My bark is preserved a lot better in the dutch oven than when I wrap.

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            The only problem I see with that is I won't be able to keep a temp probe in place without crimping the lead, probably. But I know pretty well how long it takes to go from 170 to done so that probably won't be much of a problem. (I usually boat after the stall.)

Looks awesome. Gonna have to try tat this weekend.

Comment

I'd like to invest in a little hibachi. Great looking meal, be able to cook that for the Raider's crowd in a few years.

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              #SinCityRaiders in 2020.

Nice!!

Comment

Beautiful and that recipe sounds fantastic! So it was a new pot, and that is a pretty stick dish. Was the pot still easy to clean?

Comment

• jgreen
                jgreen commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, I think I need to get one of those.

• boftx
                boftx commented
                Editing a comment
                What? A pot or a slave?

• jgreen
                jgreen commented
                Editing a comment
                Hilarious, maybe both!

Nice cook! I love all my cast iron stuff. I think Lodge is the best bang for the buck out there, overall. I like to cook cornbread in my cast iron skillet. Sublime...

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                That is one of my favorite things to cook in cast iron. I love Lodge for their quality, value and that they are made in the US of A.

Wifes favoritething on the grill is smoked mac and cheese. She's a vegetarian i know dont hate here

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here