Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

smoked mac n' cheese veggies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoked mac n' cheese veggies?

Can't believe this is my first post & it isn't about meat!
    I have been playing with a smoked mac n' cheese & the peppers seem a little lost. I use chopped red bells & jalapenos that I slightly soften by sautéing for 5 minutes in bacon fat. I am smoking the whole thing at 225 for around 3 hours (apple wood is my preferred for this). I'd like a little more crisp for texture in the peppers, but don't want them to seem raw. What are thoughts on adding all the pepper raw to the mix right before it goes on the smoker?
    BTW--Meathead's Memphis Rub really adds a lot to mac n' cheese!
    Thanks in advance.

Tim

Can't help with the peppers timt but welcome to the Pit

Comment

Welcome aboard timt! We're glad you're here. I've not done a mac 'n cheese with or without peppers, but have you thought about grilling the peppers to the texture you like and adding them as a topper to the mac 'n cheese when it's done? Just an off-the-cuff idea.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! And you're forgiven ... ...

Comment

Thanks. If it helps, there is over a pound of bacon in the mac & I am smoking a ribeye on pecan wood while I wait for replies!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Going a little light on the bacon aren't you? :-) I'll be right over to relieve you of the ribeye.

Ok, since we should be talking protein here I will share my "perfect ribeye steak" technique... nothing too original or crazy, but makes a damn good steak! Firstly, I am fortunate to have a butcher who always has USDA Primes. Go thick as possible always... thickness is insurance & flavor!
          I smoke with pecan at 200-225 until internal temp is 125-130 (Thermapen is a diamond!). In the meantime the FLAT SIDE of the GrillGrates are on hi on the gas grill. I rest the steak for around 5 minutes under foil... paint both sides with bacon or duck fat, then add cracked pepper. Sear around 1 minute each side & eat immediately.... It already rested before the sear.
          Redemtion for the carb heavy mac post?

Comment

Roast the peppers. Get em blackened. Cook the Mac as you're doing. Add the peppers as a topper. Stir. Profit.

Comment

I recently went to a party as a guest and was asked to bring my Mac-n-Cheese. I kicked it up a notch by adding Hatch chillies, some hamburger, spicy breakfast sausage, caramelized onion, and roasted garlic. There were no leftovers for Round 2. I got a butt chewing for not making enough! I was told that if I can't make a full sized steam table pan, don't bother showing my face!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1546.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	200167

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1549.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	200169

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Why did you have the pan on a stone? Seems like it'd cause the bottom to cook faster than desired. Guessing I'm missing something though

• CeramicChef
                CeramicChef commented
                Editing a comment
                David Parrish - I was running a little late, so the baking stone went on and i turbo'ed the cook. I've never had a problem cooking on that stone. Anyways, it was delicious. Now you've got me wondering ....

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey if it came out good there's nothing to wonder about!

If you want some "life" to remain in the veg you could just quick saute them (less than before) and pull whilst still al dente. You could even have all the veg diced and toss them with the hot just boiled pasta. There's significant residual heat in cooked pasta to soften the peppers. If that's enough put the veg in the boiling water with the pasta for a minute or two and then strain. Both methods should work.
              Good luck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here