Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mean and Nasty mac and cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mean and Nasty mac and cheese

By request, my mac and cheese recipe.
    Two secrets to my mac and cheese:
    1) The cheese. 1 part havarti or cooper cheese for creaminess, 2 parts Mean and Nasty from River Rat in Clayton, New York
    2) Freshly made pasta. We have a Lello Pastamaster that turns out large macaroni tubes rather quickly

Outside of that, it's really simple:
    1/2 pound havarti, Cooper sharp, or any other tasty creamy cheese - shredded (shred while cold)
    1 pound Mean and Nasty - shredded
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup butter
    Frank's Hot Sauce
    1 pound of elbows, spirals, or shells depending on preference, cooked. As I said, we usually make our own; the weights given here refer to the dried stuff you buy at the store.

Mix flour with butter in a sauce pan and stir over medium heat for five to ten minutes until it begins to darken. Whisk in 2.5 cups whole milk. Continue using the whisk to stir the mixture constantly until it thickens, another five minutes or so. Grind some pepper into the mixture. Throw in two generous splashes of Frank's. Stir in the cheese a bit at a time until melted. Mix with the pasta. At this point you can bake the whole thing at 350 for half an hour or so if you like, but we just eat it as is.

You can change things up a little by replacing the 2.5 cups of milk with a combination of 1.25 cups of beer and 1.25 cups of light cream if you want. Add the beer first, then the cream. The result is **very** creamy.

so what is "mean and nasty" cheese??!!!

Comment

• _Keith
      _Keith commented
      Editing a comment
      Note the the first appearance of the terms is a link.

• bbantel
      bbantel commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, so I looked at the site, but shipping a block to AZ is double the price of the block. So, is it a super sharp cheddar, or something else? Its in their flavored cheese, but there is nothing in the description of what it is.

• _Keith
      _Keith commented
      Editing a comment
      It's super sharp, and has a distinctive flavor that we really like in our mac and cheese. I don't think it's so perfect that no other cheese can be substituted. My father lives in Clayton, NY, so when I visit I pick up a couple pounds. I don't think I'd pay the shipping for it. The only reason I mention it is someone in another thread asked for my mac and cheese recipe when I said mine is better than Dinosaur BBQ's. If Mean n Nasty weren't readily available to me, I'd visit a farmer's market and sample some locally made cheeses until I found one that I really liked.

Originally posted by charchamp View Post
    so what is "mean and nasty" cheese??!!!
    I believe it's a River Rat brand of extra mega super sharp cheddar. Keith can confirm or deny this...

Comment

• FLBuckeye
      FLBuckeye commented
      Editing a comment
      I looked for their website but both of my browsers said their security certificate had expired. I was too scared to proceed

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      [looks around cautiously, left & right, then goes to website anyway...]

• _Keith
      _Keith commented
      Editing a comment
      You can ignore the security certificate thing if you aren't going to be submitting any personal info

Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post

extra mega super sharp cheddar. ...
    mucho grande especial

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here