Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jamaican Rice and Peas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jamaican Rice and Peas

Ingredients
    1.5 cups of long-grain white rice
    1 can of cooked or 1 cup of dried red peas (either kidney beans or pigeon peas - pigeon peas, also called gandules, are more authentic. They are available dried from Goya.)
    5 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
    1 uncut scotch bonnet pepper (1 jalapeno pepper may be used as a substitute)
    3 Scallion (spring onions may be used as a substitute)
    1/2 cup of coconut milk
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
    1 sprig of fresh thyme (1 teaspoon of dried thyme may be used as a substitute)

Cooking
    1. If you are using dried peas then wash them.
    2. Pour on three cups of water and leave to soak overnight then drain and discard the soaking water. (nb - there is no need to do this if you are using canned peas)
    3. Chop the garlic and add to 5 cups of boiling water
    4. If you are using dried peas add them now and boil for 45-60 minutes.
    5. You can test to see if the peas are cooked by crushing them against the lid of the pot. If they crush easily, you are ready to move on to the next step)
    NB - If you are using canned peas just add them to the pot and move straight on to the next step.
    6. Add your coconut milk, rice, salt, black pepper and thyme to the mix.
    7. Crush the scallion (do not chop) and add this.
    8. Also add the uncut scotch bonnet pepper, nb - the pepper remains uncut so as to not make the rice spicy, just give it a subtle peppery flavor.

The Rice and Peas should be ready after about 40 minutes (exact cooking time will depend on the brand of rice used).
    The Rice and Peas is now ready to serve!

NOTE:
    This can also be made in an electric rice cooker (the way I do it). To do so, follow directions above to Step 4. Then, drain the peas into a colander set over a bowl or measuring cup. Measure the reserved cooking water and, if necessary, add cold water to make 3 cups. Put peas, rice and all remaining ingredients into the rice cooker. Add 3 cups of pea-cooking water. Cook on the white rice setting of the rice cooker. When the rice cooker is done, open the top and fish out the scallions and habanero pepper. Fluff the rice up with a wooden spoon or rice paddle.
    Last edited by Dewesq55; May 2, 2016, 11:03 AM.

By the way, this recipe is and tastes very authentic. I had a Jamaican woman who used to work with Barbara taste it and she was certain that it must have been made by, or with substantial assistance from, a Jamaican/West Indian chef. She really thought Barbara was pulling her leg when she told her it was only me.

Comment

Big fan of jamaican food and music. Make my own, no recipe peas and rice. I'll have to give yours a try. I love jerk and usually have this and some plantains as sides to go with it. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

If you try it, Zman23 please give me your honest opinion. I love jerk as well, but make curry (chicken or goat) more often.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here