Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheddar Beer Soup--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheddar Beer Soup--

Ok, so admittedly I had never heard of this stuff until a few days ago.

I am checking out at Publix and I see "Kettle" brand Cheddar Beer potato chips on an end cap on sale and put them in the basket as a total impulse buy. When I get home I start snacking on them and cannot stop - these 2 flavors together are incredible!

So I get to work the next day and am telling a co-worker, who happens to be from Wisconsin, about these jam-up chips I tried and how they were like a weird kind of cheese fondue or something. He laughs and tells me all about Cheddar Beer soup - evidently it is a staple up in WI like grits are down here in the Lowcountry. Everyone has their own "secret" recipe and the toppings / additions to the soup can vary from pulled chicken to popcorn.

Now I am intrigued and go online perusing recipes and deiced to go with this one (for the most part): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/86274/w...r-cheese-soup/. I decided on this one because the author claimed to be from WI and the recipe had a popcorn topper -- more proof that it might possibly really be a local WI recipe. I changed up the ingredients a bit, but used the process step-by-step.

Here is the recipe I used:

Cheddar Beer Soup

1 1/2 cups diced carrots
    1 1/2 cups diced onion
    1 1/2 cups diced celery
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon Texas Pete
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    3 cups chicken broth
    2 cups beer (I used Yeungling - a full bodied American lager)
    1/3 cup butter
    1/3 cup flour
    3 cups milk
    1 cup half and half
    6 cups fresh shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
    1 tablespoon Dijon or Cajun mustard
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon dry mustard

In a large saucepan over medium heat stir together carrots, onion, celery and garlic.
    Stir in Texas Pete, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
    Pour in chicken broth and beer and simmer until vegetables are tender; about 12 minutes.
    Remove from heat.

Meanwhile, heat butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
    Stir in flour with a wire whisk; cook, stirring until the flour is light brown; about 3 or 4 minutes.
    Gradually stir in milk, whisking to prevent scorching, until thickened.
    Remove from heat, and gradually stir in cheese.
    Keep warm.

Stir beer mixture into cheese mixture.
    Stir in Dijon/ Cajun mustard, Worcestershire sauce and dry mustard.
    Bring to a simmer and cook 10 minutes.

So about 1/2 way thru dicing all of the vegetables it occurred to me that this recipe was going to make a heckuva lot of soup! I ended up having enough of it for me, the wife and my mother in law, two friend and their families as well as a container for the freezer. I even brought some to my co-worker from WI who told me it was pretty legit. He put pulled pork in it and made a type of pork and cheese stew.

I love the flavors of this soup and it can be used as a base to add anything from bacon to chicken to whatever you like with cheese.

You could even cut the chicken broth from the recipe, dump in a can of Ro-Tels for a good nacho dip.

I must admit I struggled (as usual) a bit with the bechamel part -- I think I added the milk too quickly as my roux lumped up and I had to spend 5-10 mins squashing all the lumps out. The soup didn't turn out too grainy and was really good despite my usual "battle with the bechamel" part (looking at you fzxdoc - lol).

I was told this soup freezes well in a sealed container - we will see one cold and rainy day in the winter of 2016 when I pull it out and try it!

To those that have never heard of this combination (Cheddar and Beer) please at least try the Kettle brand chips with that flavor - you OWE IT TO YOURSELF! To those that have known about this - what else are you guys keeping secret?!?!!?

Enjoy!

Your Recipe Sounds Fit To Eat! HC in SC, Thanks for Posting It! 👍👍👍👍👍. Dan

Comment

HC in SC You had me at Beer!

Comment

Beer and Cheddar is a great soup indeed, would be even better with a little brisket or pulled pork meat!

Comment

You can puree the soup by using a stick blender or putting through a regular blender. Just be careful not to over fill your blender with hot soup or it will shoot out the top when you turn it on.

Comment

• HC in SC
            HC in SC commented
            Editing a comment
            I actually diced all my mirepoix vegetables so tiny they barely had any mouthfeel at all, but your idea could have saved me 45 mins of hand dicing! Thanks!

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            You bet. I've made cheddar cheese soup off and on for years but haven't tried the beer variation. I think I will, though. You mentioned that you varied some of the ingredients from the recipe you found. Would you tell us which ones, please? TIA.

• HC in SC
            HC in SC commented
            Editing a comment
            I changed from just milk to part half & half and part milk. I changed to add Creole mustard. I used Texas Pete and Yuengling specific brands. I used only Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese. I did not top mine with popcorn. Other than that I followed the ingredients in the linked recipe in the original post verbatim.

Sounds yummy, HC in SC . How could you go wrong, flavorwise, with butter, beer, half and half and cheese?

I just had blood drawn yesterday for my annual physical, so I don't have to worry about spiking any lipid profile numbers for a short while. Perfect time to fall off the wagon is what I'm saying.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here