Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple tomato/marinara sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple tomato/marinara sauce

In one of Kenji's pizza dough articles, he discusses his favorite pizza sauce based on a sauce from a NYC pizza joint. He never really gives a recipe, but he did give the basics. I combined this idea with others and came up with a simple but very good recipe.

Kenji's basic sauce was a 28 oz can of tomatoes, 8 or 9 cloves of garlic, a little salt, some olive oil and some crushed red pepper flakes. He said you could add some spices if you wanted. Another marinara recipe called for adding a small onion cut in half and place in the pan cut side down. So I combined these ideas with a few of my own to make a sauce that will work on pizza or pasta, or just about anywhere that calls for a red sauce. I don't really measure, so amounts are approximate:

1 28 oz can of your favorite tomatoes. I use San Marino pureed tomatoes because I like the sauce smooth and because there are no other ingredients - it's 100% tomatoes. If you like chunky sauce, you can use something else.

50/50 olive oil and butter mixture. I use enough to saute the garlic and spices - the amount is not critical. You just don't want it pooling on top of the sauce when cooked - maybe a tbs of each.

Garlic - 6 to 9 cloves chopped fine should put you in the ballpark depending on how much you like garlic

1 med onion cut in half.

Crushed red pepper to taste.

OPTIONAL:

Italian seasoning to taste -
    maybe a tsp.

Oregano to taste - maybe a tsp.

1/2 to 1 tbs soy sauce for umami and saltiness. If you don't want to use soy sauce, add salt to taste.

Chop the garlic while heating the oo and butter. Add the onion to the hot oil and then add the garlic and spices. Saute until the garlic is tender, then add the tomatoes. Try to not move the onions - just let them simmer. Cook until the desired consistency is reached and remove the onion. Spoon over your dish and enjoy. If using for pizza, cook until it is not runny, or you will have a soggy pizza.

I haven't tried smoking this, (yet), but I bet it would be tasty...
    Last edited by RonB; May 5, 2018, 11:08 AM.

I love Kenji's NY style recipe, https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...zza-sauce.html , so will have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice job Ron.

Comment

Thankya sir, this has got to be better than picking up a jar of Newman’s own or whatever is on sale, can’t wait to try it!

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

Looks great! Admittedly, my favorite for pizza is crushed uncooked tomatoes and herbs, and Marcella Hazen's onion and butter tomato sauce for pasta. But variety is the spice of life. If you get the chance, check out her "pink shrimp" sauce for pasta - heavenly!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here