Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best sauce for tri-tip steaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best sauce for tri-tip steaks?

I'm am planning on hanging 2 tri-tips on the PBC with the hopes of slicing thin and making sliders. What sauce would you recommend and why?

I would tend to skip the sauce and just use a rub like BBR or Cow Crust. If you need/want sauce for the sliders, just pick your favorite BBQ sauce and serve it on the side so folks can add what they want.

Comment

I've never considered a sauce for tri-tip ... but if I had to, I'd give serious thought to a simple board sauce: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/other...rd_sauces.html

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, a simple board sauce is all you need. No need for more than that.

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        This! I have added a little red wine and garlic to the running with butter to thicken slightly, but the board sauce is best.

Chimichurri sauce... with sandwiches.👍 If you SV it so it's as tender as a Filet Mignon and you serve it sliced on a plate... bernaise sauce.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        I would recommend that sauce, too.

+1 on chimichurri sauce, but I did a demi glaze red wine reduction peppercorn sauce on mine last week.

Comment

I do a reverse sear, putting on a smoker at anywhere from 225-275 for about an hour (until temps reach about 115 IT). Then I add some high smoke point oil and sear over a direct fire. Depending on quality, I usually pull at 125-130

I use big bad beef rub but layer on plenty of granulated garlic before applying the BBBR. Honestly any BBQ sauce (or other board/chimchurri/wine etc) will work, I usually go light with a triditional KC style and mix it with any board juices that come from the tri tip. Just slice very thin and go across the grain. then roll it around in the sauce.

Comment

Salt, Pepper, Garlic I guess the juice that comes out of it would make it a sauce? In all seriousness it is such a flavorful meat that other than maybe a board sauce I wouldn't use a sauce. Let me know what you do maybe I am missing out.

Comment

Horseradish goes well for some people. I served Tri Tip to my Family just yesterday and was a little surprised that a few took the horseradish.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Loves me some horseradish, but I was raised pairin' it to roast...
              Today, I'd probl'y do some reduced au jus on alla th' meat, then serve any sauces on th' side, as mentioned previous.
              Reckon horseradish sauce might be closest to th' side of th' servin' pan, though!

I have not made Meatheads Rich Red Wine sauce yet, but your question got me thinking that might be a great sauce after the cook.

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              jgreen, Meathead's Rich Red Wine Sauce is great wit h tri-tip!

I don't believe I have ever done a sauce with Tri tip..I'm thinking, other then a BBQ squirt. I would lean toward a creamy slaw and/or type of condiment rather than cover the meat.

Comment

Agree with others, no sauce necessary. You will have a lot of jus when you slice it. Simply pour it back over the sliced tri-tip. If you or your guests prefer a sauce I second the board sauce suggestion.

Comment

I've never smoked a tri-tip, would like to soon. But I've been sorta craving it with a bit of the drippings + horseradish + whatever cheese the lot of you can recommend.

Comment

Compound butter?

Comment

• JCBBQ
                    JCBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not saying that's "the best" but rather just throwing out another idea

Compound butter, I second.
                  Make a board sauce with some herbs, a touch of vinegar and a good olive oil.

Comment

Blue cheese compound butter!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here