Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork finishing sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork finishing sauce

Looking for a good finishing sauce (not BBQ sauce) recipe for pulled pork. Much appreciated.

Thanks!

What kind of flavor profile are you looking for?

Comment

I take Texas rib Candy, 1 Tbs brown sugar and some Blue Hog Sauce. Then heat it in a Cast Iron sauce pot for at least 1/2 hr. Then coat the PB in the last 30 mins of cooking.

Here is what it looks like on Ribs and Shoulders, respectively.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1346.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	256527

Name:	IMG_1355.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	256528

Name:	IMG_1352.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	256529

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Texas rib candy is some goooooood stuff.

I like to take some Apple cider vinegar, or something similar, and put some MMD in it. Maybe some red pepper flakes. Whisk it to release some of the MMD, and apply.

Comment

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        what are your proportions?

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I go about a tablespoon of MMD for about a quarter cup of vinegar. If I'm adding red pepper, it's just a couple shakes.

Look up Danny Gaulden's glaze. That's good stuff too and a good base for coming up with something different.

Comment

If you want something lighter and you wrap for the last couple hours, add some beer and double wrap in hd foil. Then carefully pour out the juices when unwrapping and drizzle over the pulled pork.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions..I'll give it a try.

Comment

I just save the juice from the butts when I wrap them, run it through a fat separator, then sprinkle some rub back in (maybe something to spice it up if I'm wanting more heat).

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
            I just save the juice from the butts when I wrap them, run it through a fat separator, then sprinkle some rub back in (maybe something to spice it up if I'm wanting more heat).
            I do something similar. The juice that collects in the foil is a great starting point for a finishing sauce. You can make a slurry (water + corn starch) and slowly add the fat drippings to create a very nice thick sauce that is 100% complimentary toward the pork and not overpowering the way many bbq sauces can be. If you must add more flavor, try doing what Nate said and shake in some rub or Memphis Dust instead of adding bbq sauce.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              This is a really good thing to do when smoking chuckies too!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here