Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red wine sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red wine sauce

Yes, I think I'll have to admit to myself, I am a sauce man

I did a red wine sauce yesterday (http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...2637-ox-cheeks), and I liked it so much I decided to do another batch today. This sauce is just loaded with flavors, yet simple, so it doesn't hide/mask the meat.

While cooking I thought I'd take measurements so I could share. The sauce is dead easy to make, and very cheap, so go ahead and try it. It excels with all types of steaks like sirloin, porterhouse, tri tip et.c. Feel free to experiment with other spices if you like, once you have done it a few times.

Ingredients (serves 4):
    3-4 shallots
    2 bay leaves
    1.5 cups red wine (stay away from the very cheapest stuff, it pays off)
    1.5 cups hot water
    2 tablespoons liquid beef stock (get a good one, not the bouillon cubes)
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1 single strip of bacon (very optional, but oh so good)
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 teaspoons brown sugar

The super short version:
    Mix the ingredients in a pan/skillet, and let it simmer (not boil) until it has reduced to half the amount of fluid/sauce. Sift it to get rid of onion/spices, put back into pan, and add butter. Serve!

The (slightly) longer version:
    Chop the shallots, and fry them a bit in butter. Add the rest of the ingredients, minus the sugar and butter. The onions are there because they add sweetness.
    Let it simmer (not boil) until it has reduced to half the original amount (for this batch it usually takes 20-30 minutes). Sift it to get rid of the onion/thyme/bacon. Pour the sauce back in the pan, and add the butter and sugar. Stir until the butter and sugar has dissolved, and taste it. If needed (purely a taste preference), add a bit more sugar.

The sauce should be a bit thin, but if you like, thicken it just a bit with corn starch.

Oh, and if you did opt for the bacon strip, good for you. The rest of the strips are well suited for pig candy. The chef must be kept in a good mood at all times

The sauce, just started simmering:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3594.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	22893

After sifting, throw the onions/et.c in the trash:

Name:	IMG_3595.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	22894

The almost ready sauce, this goes back into the pan, where butter and sugar is added:

Name:	IMG_3596.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	22895

The sirloin, "dressed" with the sauce:

Name:	IMG_3597.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	22896

Serving:
    When I make this sauce, I think of it as "dressing" for the steak, so I just pour a limited amount on top of the steak, and then leave the rest of the sauce in a sauce boat on the table. If you really dig sauce, by all means, just make a double batch and have at it.

Yum! Have a great weekend, all!
    Last edited by Henrik; October 3, 2014, 01:09 PM. Reason: Forgot the bay leaves, sorry about that. Now added.

Good looking dressing for steak!! Did I tell you I make my own wine and there is plenty in the cellar.

Comment

That sounds fantastic, Marauderer!

Comment

Nice!! Thanks for the recipe. My wife likes her steaks with a sauce .. this would have been nice with the moose I did yesterday

Comment

We'll need to have an international Pit Club gathering - Barry can bring some of his wine, Henrik can make some sauce, I know we have some coffee roasters on here, and the rest of will just cook, eat and drink.

Comment

• Marauderer
            Marauderer commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds great TB! Where and when??

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I can eat and drink with the best of 'em.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here