Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subway's Creamy Sriracha Sauce Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subway's Creamy Sriracha Sauce Recipe

I eat at Subway often, and one of the main reasons I do is because I'm quite fond of their "Creamy Sriracha Sauce". Worried that some day they may discontinue it, I felt a curious need to investigate what's in it!

I asked an employee to email me the nutrition info of the sauce. Here's what they sent me:

Sriracha sauce (chili puree [red pepper, acetic acid], water, sugar, salt, garlic, distilled vinegar, xanthan gum, natural flavor, sodium benzoate [a preservative], citric acid), soybean oil, water, egg yolks, contains less than 2% of distilled vinegar, food starch-modified, salt, xanthan gum, sugar, extractive of paprika, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (as preservatives), natural flavor, polysorbate 60, spice, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor. Contains: Egg.

Can anyone make sense of that? I can! Seems as if there's mostly Sriracha sauce and mayonaise! (Soybean oil and egg yolks, etc.)

I tried to recreate it at home tonight. I started with a teaspoon of Kraft mayo, and started squirting in Sriracha. Stirring slowly, I kept adding until the colors matched (I had the real sauce sitting beside me for comparison).

Took a taste...it's close. Something's missing......a little table sugar, perhaps? Mixed a little sugar in.....even closer!

This is where I'm stuck. My sauce is thinner than theirs....corn starch perhaps? Maybe a different brand of mayo?

Lastly, I'm tasting my sauce straight away, maybe I should set it in the fridge for a while so that the flavors meld? I know for a fact that Cane's sauce requires it or else it won't taste right.

Can you guys and gals help me crack it?
    Attached Files

It would appear Subways version has xanthan gum as the 7th most prevalent ingredient. It is a thickener and that's why yours isn't as thick. Here's a link that explains it pretty well.

Comment

I've had it a few times and always thought I could detect soy sauce in it. Maybe a drop of it along with the xanthan gum that Dr ROK mentioned might do it?

Comment

• SteveFromLafayette
        SteveFromLafayette commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm...you might be right. I was thinking of Worcestershire.

Dr ROK Are you saying that there's extra Xanthan gum added to it besides what's already included in Sriracha and mayo?

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd guess they are using more in their mayo & or sriracha sauce than what's in the ingredients you are using.

• SteveFromLafayette
        Editing a comment
        I see. I need to get my hands on some xanthan gum and test it.

My guess is it isn't just as simple as putting the ingredients together. The egg yolks and fact you want it thicker make me think aioli or hollandaise.

Comment

If you've got the taste right, I wouldn't worry too much about consistency. Many commercial products have an "unreal" consistency. I make my own yogurt and, unless I drain it through cheese cloth to reduce the whey content, mine is always thinner/runnier than commercial yogurts, which typically have gelatin or pectin added. It is remarkable--and sad, imo--that so many foods get non-essential ingredients added for aesthetics.

I doubt that cornstarch would help much as I think it needs to be heated in order to thicken. Maybe xanthan gum would work if the consistency is important. Xanthan should be available at a "health" food store.

Comment

Thanks Willy . I'll check Amazon for it.

Comment

Looks like it'll arrive Tuesday!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              How did we ever live without Amazon?????

I'm anxious to hear how it works out for you!

• SteveFromLafayette
              Editing a comment
              Willy I'll post pics!

So, did you ever perfect it?

Comment

• SteveFromLafayette
              Editing a comment
              Never did, unfortunately. 😢
              There's something missing...

Shake Shack on NYC has a sauce I love that they call Shack Sauce.
            Kenji has a very good reproduction made with mayo, ketcbup and yellow mustard. BUT the real one is about twice as thick as the fake one turns out. It's gotta be something similar - thickeners.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here