Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chimichurri Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimichurri Sauce

Anybody have a good Chimichurri Sauce recipe?

Our mouthwatering chimichurri sauce recipe is the perfect way to liven up grilled beef, chicken, fish, and more. In addition to the traditional Argentinian combination of fresh parsley, olive oil, garlic, and salt, our recipe takes it over the top with the addition of bright and lively lemon juice.

Comment

Thanks I missed that when I was looking around earlier.

Comment

I whisk oil olive instead of processing it with the rest of the ingredients. It tends to get bitter when processed.
        I use sherry vinegar, parsley and Oregano.

Comment

The Best Chimichurri recipe i have had was from a website Icuban.com. I dont think i am allowed to link it. but ill copy the recipe just know i took it from that website and the three guys from miami. i was raised in south florida and by far found this recipe to be the most authentic and best tasting. also let it rest for 20 minutes to allow all the flavors to incorporate.

Prep time: 15 minutes
          Total time: 15 minutes
          Yield: Enough for 4 steaks
          Our "Cubanized" version of this Argentinean sauce, uses cilantro instead of parsley.

INGREDIENTS:
          1 large bunch cilantro leaves
          8 cloves garlic
          1/4 cup vinegar
          1 lime (Juice only)
          2/3 cup olive oil
          1/2 cup onion
          Dash or two red pepper flakes
          salt and pepper to taste

We like to make it the easy way. Put everything except the olive oil in a blender and using the "chop" setting, pulse on and off until you have a thick mixture. Do not over process! This is the kind of dish you need to taste and adjust so that you get just the right flavor! So taste it! (The best way to taste it is with a piece of bread.) Whisk in the olive oil. (If you use the blender to incorporate the oil, the oil and liquids will emulsify, giving your chimichurri a white, paste-like texture.) Add salt, pepper, more vinegar and lime juice as needed. The flavor should be very intense with garlic and cilantro. Don't be stingy with the salt either!

Comment

I never use a food processor or blender for my chimichurri sauce. I don't like the way those mechanical gizmos bruise the leaves of the fresh herbs, and I agree with Ernest about changing the flavor of the oil a bit.

Here's my list of ingredients, taken from Kalyn's Kitchen blog:

Chimichurri Sauce Ingredients:
            1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves (about 1 cup before chopping)
            1/2 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley leaves (about 1 cup before chopping)
            2 T minced garlic
            3 T fresh lemon juice
            2 tsp. red wine vinegar
            1 tsp. Aleppo pepper flakes (or use a smaller amount of cayenne pepper if you can't find Aleppo pepper)
            1 tsp. ground cumin
            1/2 cup olive oil

It hits all the flavor profile points I'm looking for in a good chimichurri sauce.

Kathryn

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Kathryn Just put this chimichurri together tonight for tomorrow’s tri-tip. Didn’t have any red wine vinegar so substituted with white. Also added half of a jalapeño. It smells awesome. 👍

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I bet that jalapeno made the sauce even more delicious, Steve B .

This chimichurri recipe is a staple in our house. Hope you enjoyed it.

K.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s got a nice little kick to it with the jalapeño.
              It tastes amazing this morning when I stirred it up. 😋

Courtesy of Healthy Latin Cooking by Stephen Raichlen and Cooking Light, January 2000. -- Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients, they are to make the sauce of which you will have a lot leftover. -- It is all so good!
            Make the Pebre first and then you will have it ready for the steak." This starts out with 4 cups of onions to be cararmalized, then goes to the "churrasco" for the meat
            1 (1 1/2 lb) center-cut beef tenderloin (cut or use as steaks)
            1/2 teaspoon salt
            1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
            1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
            1/2 teaspoon black pepper
            1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
            Then the "Pebre"
            PEBRE (Chilean Cilantro Sauce)
            2/3 cup low sodium vegetable broth
            1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro or 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley (I prefer Cilantro)
            1/2 cup minced onions (I use a sweeter onion like Walla Walla, I do not like red onions as a personal taste)
            1/2 cup minced red bell peppers
            1/4 cup white vinegar or 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (I like Sherry vinegar here)
            1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
            1 teaspoon salt
            1 teaspoon dried oregano
            1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes ( less or to taste)
            1/2 teaspoon black pepper
            4 garlic cloves, minced
            Combine all ingredients, stirring with a whisk until well-blended. Store remaining sauce
            in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Not exactly Chimichurri Sauce, but the Pebre is wonderful and I've used it as a dip as well. You may wish to use less liquid for a thicker sauce.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here