Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruelty to animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruelty to animals

It is becoming very possible that it could be construed as animal cruelty but I see it as just an unfair circumstance of a situation that is not easily remedied.

Subject: Max
    Situation : Pork Belly Burnt Ends (today's culprit)
    Symptoms : Manifestations of addiction

Max has a keen sense of smell. So keen he can sniff out a stone (sometimes more like a rock than a stone) that he has slobbered on from a pile of similar shape and sized stones.
    He will gladly have you throw a stone for him to fetch all day long and even if you go hide it somewhere in the garden he tracks it down in no time. There are 100's of these marked concretions all over but he is not fooled by you not using his one of choice for the game.

Max is very aware of what's up when I start preparitions of the kettle and happily tags along even though he gets scolded at for getting in the way. His biggest agony is when the food is pulled. His obviously discerning sense becomes highly aroused and his whole body starts to shiver. If the container is placed on the counter he will sit nearby and vibrate.

The only panacea I can think of is to lock him outside. I don't believe this is a solution as those smells in the air are everywhere so the trauma would be worse.
    Locked outside and still smell wafts of deliciousness, bad idea.

I am totally against the abuse of animals and am looking for some sound advice to help in this very unfortunate state of affairs.

Removing him from ownership - not an option.
    Shutting down the use of the kettle - not an option.

There's only one answer: Max is now your Sous Chef in charge of quality control and sampling!

Honestly, though, if he's already well-behaved enough that he just sits nearby and vibrates when the food is out, it should be possible to get him used to the key phrase that comes after his set limit of two or three bites that indicates he's had his share.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Easier said than done sir. Max knows no limits.

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      holehogg Which of us actually know our limits? I find I know it long AFTER I reached it and try to make a mental note. But that is where the plan fails. In my mental.

Short of ablating his olfactory epithelium or nerves, the only suggestion I have is to cook something that he can eat that won't make him sick while you are fixing the people food.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Encouraging double helpings. You not helping much☺

Smokey is all but in my food, each an every time I cook. It's both charming, an sometimes inconvenient, at times, as I don't wish fer him to be burned, or harmed, etc.

I've jus written it off as Love, an deal with it, th very best I can, to keep him safe an happy...after all, when all is said, an done, this Life ain't bout ME...wish more people'd figger that out bout themselves, huh?

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Smokey has something more unique than just 9 lives.
      She has dem Bones dem Bones dem Mr. Bones.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      With extreme certitude, I can assure yall that Smokey has my Unconditional Love, which is way more than any other creature on God's Green Earth can lay claim to...
      I'm cool with th arrangement, Blessed by his presence in my life... holehogg

As mentioned before he can be your taste tester (with something safe) just like 'The Beagler' - Kent Rollins' beagle. The number of tail wags shows how good it is.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      My cooks must be exceptionally good cause that tail don't stop wagging

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      LOVES me some Cowboy Kent, Shannon, an Beags...
      Ain't many things that still make MY tail wag, but they's quite high, on th list!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 22, 2019, 11:54 AM.

Fix him a bite or two, (may dipped in some of the liquid/sauce you are cooking with), and take it outside for him to eat while you work and eat inside.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      A bite or two? Not a fixit deal.

This might help.

Dogs love a good barbecue. But can dogs eat BBQ sauce, or bones? We've got your answers in this guide to BBQ for dogs.

I liked the pic on their homepage

Click image for larger version

Name:	dog-burger-630x472.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	746412

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      No help most of that stuff is me friendly.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Gots to be one of, if not th Cutest Pics I've ever seen, in my life...Many Thanks fer brightenin up my Sunday Mornin, Brother

My dog runs into walls when I bring stuff inside. Fortunately he is happy with some samples and settles down.

Can you wear him him out with a ball or frisbee before you get ready to serve so he can settle (or better yet get someone else to?)

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Rocks and stones are his fetch thing. A tennis, rugby, or soccer ball have a 20 minute life span.
      He will gladly chase stones around the whole day if anybody had the time and energy to entertain him.

Same problem with Wyatt. Eventually I just decided to include him in I think he appreciates it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Next piece of meat that comes off the grill should have a collar next to it.

Just Kidding!

It is wonderful that yu have a friend like Max

Comment

My Hounds feel the pain too!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-09-22 17.38.18.png
Views:	157
Size:	506.6 KB
ID:	746547

Comment

My three hounds only ever get dog food and the only time they get a dog treat is when they go to a vet. Would they love BBQ? Absolutely. However, they don’t get any. Vader, does enjoy hanging out while I cook. He will learn to vibrate and watch and he can still have his food and his food only.
          Attached Files

Comment

This is my Derbster after a failed cook. Click image for larger version  Name:	72400E6E-AEA5-41D3-8C24-B73529A972F5.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	895.1 KB ID:	746801
            Last edited by FireMan; September 23, 2019, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              looks just like my Brooklyn, but she is rough coat.

Our dogs don't always get a bite of people food, but they are to wait and not beg (verbal corrections upon eye cintact when we are eating). When the humans are done and have finished cleaning up, they either get a scrap or a treat, but in tgeir dish away from where the food was prepped or consumed. It takes a while to train it, but they eventually learn to relax until cleanup is done.

Comment

buy a pack of cheap hot dogs. Toss a couple on the grill/pit at the end of the cook. Before you take the meat off pitch them into the high grass or flowerbed. While he is rooting around for his treat, remove your food. Both critters are happy then.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here