Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Results of Party Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Results of Party Cook

The hall was done out in a cowboy theme that looked real nice and they had a mechanical bull that was the highlight especially after some consumption.
    In my opinion my food was a disappointment. The feedback I got today was that everyone really enjoyed it and everything was devoured. I could list a whole lot of excuses for the results but rather say in hindsight there are things I learnt that I’m sure a more experienced smoker would have done to end up with a better result. The brisket was really the poorest quality I have had too cook so far but the pork butts turned out real good. I do the best I can and each cook is a learning experience and a step closer to doing it better.
    The brisket was dry and the bark in places was very barky if there is such a thing or maybe it’s just called burnt. All the meat had rested in the cambro for 2 ½ hours before serving. I pulled the pork added some MMD and spritz with a bit of apple juice and kept it in the bain-marie. It was tasty and nice and moist before serving.
    When I sliced into the brisket’s there were only a few parts (from the point) that seemed moistish and the rest was really dry. I wasn’t going to serve it like that so I tried a plan. Having read up a bit on making burnt ends (yet to do) I applied what I could remember and did my own thing. I cut the brisket into smallish blocks after removing the overly barky bits and added it to the pot that still had some of Huskeys Shawsh in over a low heat and added the balance of the sauce that I had decanted for serving. Mixed it all and let it heat through. Transferred to a big bain-marie with lid on and let it run on high to create steam inside and "hopefully" soften the meat while it "stews" in the sauce.
    I think it helped just a tad it tasted nice but still toughish.
    We "Smoke and Learn" that’s the only way.

Butt

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_175815.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	594214Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_203817.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	594215

Brisket

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_184625.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	594216

No leftovers? Sounds like you did just fine!

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thx

Sounds like the crowd voted with their mouths

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Consumption may have got the better of their taste buds🤔

Great writeup, brother!

We're always our own toughest critics, and there is always more to be learned...

It sounds like yer customers were happy, so try not to beat yer self up about the brisket...

Coulda jus been an ornery cut of meat...that certainly happens!

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      The quality of the meat we get even the "A" grade and I think the brisket was the worst grade give the price he paid per Kg. Thank you.

The brisket in the picture sure doesn’t look burnt, looks like a fairly light bark.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      If not burnt very dried out. Crunchy.

Great save, been there brother. Everyone says its great but you know you can do better. Remember we are not only our wors critic, but we learn more from sub par cooks than the perfect ones. Did you wrap? Inject? What grade was the brisket? I would have taken the hold out to 4 hours. At the end of the day, remember that you gave them probably the best meal they had all month! Good job.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Have never wrapped but realise it needs to be done especially with poor quality meat. As a learner I have not ventured the inject although I did buy one some time back. Didn't have 4 hours to hold and doubt it would have made a difference. Probably got a thumbs up cause they don't know what it should really taste like and I can only say the same for myself as the only yardstick I have are my cooks

Sounds like you pleased the crowd, that’s the main goal. If the cook had been up to your full standards no doubt you would be asked to do this way more often.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      All my party cooks have been referred from word and mouth so cant be half bad but was definitely not near the same standard as previous cooks.

I find that I am my toughest critic too. As long as you want to improve, you will.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      My life's mission at the moment.

Live and learn. No one has a perfect show ever time they play

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Hear you sir.

You did fine and you were thinking on your feet which is what anyone who attempts do large cooks has to be able to do. No two cooks are ever the same there are just too many uncontrollable variables. I never take praise or criticisim from guests to seriously. Praise can often be just politeness and criticisim could be jealousy. I've had cooks where I knew i could have done much better and have gotten standing ovation from 50 at a grooms men dinner. Other times I knew I hit exactly what i was going for and hardly a word from anyone.

I consider a good cook to be one where my phone don't ring 24 hours later with someone telling me 150 people got sick last night!!

I learn something at every cook and that's a good thing.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your kind and wise words.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here