Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"KOTA" South African Street food.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"KOTA" South African Street food.

"Kota" is pidgin for "quarter" a quarter of a loaf of bread that I serve many off every day. The quarter loaf of bread forms the base of the sandwich that is a tasty inexpensive homegrown street food. The quarter loaf is hollowed out and filled with layers of all sorts – potato chips (fries) being the most popular. I offer them as a build it with whatever you choose that’s available on the menu. My most popular KOTA at tea time (10 am) is the basic chip quarter topped with bacon and egg or bacon and cheese. I made a full house KOTA for myself and wanted to share the celebration.
    KOTA was filled with fries, spicy chili salt and huskees shawsh a smash burger with cheese topped with jalapenos, 2 slices of bacon and a soft fried egg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2176.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	564702

Name:	SAM_2177.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	564703

Name:	SAM_2179.JPG
Views:	499
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	564704

Name:	SAM_2182.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	564705

That looks great!

Comment

Wow! Thats a lot of food for a mid morning break. Looks really good.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        We love to eat EdF

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        2nd Breakfast? EdF I'm about to write my Hobbit Diet and Cookbook...

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm ready JGo37 !

It looks like a small sandwich snack built any way you like. I think pulled pork would go well on it.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        It's on my list of must do's along with brisket slices.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Not so sure about that "small" part!

Would you contrast with Bunny Chow? Reading up on your country, and excited about the food.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Bunny Chow is a half loaf of bread hollowed out and filled with mostly a meat curry. The bunny chow is from the Indian community both created in the apartheid era as an affordable meal. The Kota is a township born food.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Looks tasty.

That looks good enough to eat.,

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Or as HouseHomey and his many acolytes would say "I'd eat that"!

Wow, that looks awesome!!

Comment

Man those look goooood!!!!!

Comment

I want to make one that looks like yours. It has got to be a real treat.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Easily done and you can use your imagination as you always do.

It looks like holehogg needs a poutine recipe... That looks very good.

Comment

That looks like one heckuva great meal, Brother!!!!

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you sir they are very much enjoyed in all the forms created.

We call them tacos in San Antonio! But those look awesome

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Using a quarter loaf hollowed out?

Well, that's something new to me! Looks like fun and something just a little different. Hungry now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here