Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 cooks in as many days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 cooks in as many days

Had me a ball with the smoker this week and a lot had to do with me getting to use my new maverick XR50. I had used it prior to this past Sunday but that was just to better familiarise myself with my vertical smoker to measure temp difference from bottom rack to top rack. Sunday I used the "faux" kettle for a first time indirect cook with 3 different steak cuts, sirloin rump and picanha and 4 lamb loin chops for the wife. This was my first in meat use of the XR50. The steaks turned out ok enough for a first attempt but found they were a tad more Smokey than I would have liked and this was agreed by all partakers. I refuse to discuss the results of the lamb chops. On Monday back with my familiar smoker I smoked 34 pieces of skinless boneless chicken breasts that turned out perfect. Tuesday cooked 30 or so chicken wings (a 1st 4 me) and another 10 breasts due to popular demand. Wings are now in my top 3 favourite foods. Wednesday was 2 Warthog legs cut into 4 pieces a pork belly and beef short rib. The pork belly was awesome and the beef topped that according to me, others favoured the belly. I smoked 2 blocks of cheese, mozzarella and mature cheddar to mix into my mac and cheese sauce. I didn’t want to stop smoking but it starts to get expensive so I had a break today. I have requests for me to smoke take home food for some of the peeps at the company. I call it becoming famous this part of the world. Think I’m going to have a busy next week.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180624_175907 (1).jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	523450Click image for larger version  Name:	20180624_182428 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	851.3 KB ID:	523451Click image for larger version  Name:	20180627_110909.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	523452Click image for larger version  Name:	20180627_185828 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	523453Click image for larger version  Name:	20180627_135342 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	523454Click image for larger version  Name:	20180627_152343 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	523455

???

Comment

it sounds like you are doing awesome! i wish i had a week like that coming up.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Having lotsa fun learning and improving most of the time.

I like doing cooks like these, hard work, but you learn a lot too. Good job!!

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank's I'm keen to smoke any opportunity I can get.

Phew. Great cooks! Would love to hear more about the Warthog legs.....

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a very lean meat and was an experimental cook. I am not very fond of the gamy taste myself. The person that I cooked them for said they were tasty but dry. I think injecting would remedy that. I also don't think I cooked them to an ideal IT. Dont really have any experience with game.

• theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, holehogg. Very interesting. Perhaps if I get a chance to visit my friend in Cape Town I'll have a chance to try it.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here