Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Veal Ossobuco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Veal Ossobuco

Had a big plan to do beef short ribs on Sunday, but my source had none, and since veal ossbuco's were on sale, I thought why not?

After dry brining, I created a rub similar to BBBR which included a little sugar, sweet paprika, onion and garlic powder, ground rosemary and ground mixed peppercorns and let them sit in rub for about 2 hours. Smoked 'em on the Webber at 225 and took 'em off when they hit 203. Delicious, bark could have been better as I was pressed for time and didn't do the final sear as well as I could have (beer consumption was also a factor at this point). If I had to nit pick, they were also a little dry. I think next time I will either buy thicker cuts to try to retain more moisture or slow smoke for a few hours and finish in a braising liquid.

Served with cheese toast, Grannies Texas Beans http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beans...xas_beans.html and Latkes http://amazingribs.com/recipes/potat...es_latkes.html. We had a bunch of zucchini in the fridge, so my mix was about 2/3 potatoes and 1/3 zucchini for the Latkes. They turned out great, the zucchini adds a really nice subtle flavour and texture.

Has anyone else ever done a veal ossobuco? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1397 (2).JPG
Views:	51
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	28056 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1398 (2).JPG
Views:	52
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	28057

This gives me an idea. There always nice looking beef shanks available in my local supermarket. I'll bet they would be good brisket or short rib style in the smoker.

Comment

We did a veal osso bucco at the restaurant a couple weeks back. I posted it here (somewhere) with pics. Easy and tasty.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here