Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuffed Cabbage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuffed Cabbage

This recipe is from my wife's late mother Dottie. It's a favorite to make this time of the year. Remember to remove the toothpicks before eating!

DOTTIE’S STUFFED CABBAGE

1.5 pounds ground beef
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    ¾ pound rice
    1 large onion, minced
    1 large head cabbage
    1 small can sauerkraut (approx 14 to 15 ounces)
    1 large can tomato soup (approx 23 to 24 ounces)
    1 large can crushed tomatoes (not drained; approx 28 ounces)

Core cabbage and boil until leaves begin to fall off head, then remove leaves from water.
    Mix onion, meat, seasonings and rice in large bowl.
    Place 1-2 tablespoons meat mix in each cabbage leaf and roll – close up roll with toothpick.
    Put rolls in roasting pan and cover with sauerkraut, extra cabbage pieces, tomato soup and crushed tomatoes.
    Add 2 cups water.
    Cover and cook at 350 degrees for 1.5 to 2 hours.

Some notes:
    1. Boil the cabbage so that the leaves are tender, but not falling apart.
    2. Optionally add onion and peppers.
    3. As you can see by the ingredients this is lightly seasoned, so add your preferred spices to kick things up a notch.
    4. Ground beef and rice are uncooked when wrapped in the cabbage leaves.
    5. If you like more "sauce" add more tomato soup and/or crushed tomatoes, and if you're a big fan of sauerkraut add more of that as well.
    Last edited by fuzzydaddy; December 16, 2016, 01:49 PM.

I'll give this one a go! Love me some cabbage. Thanks, Fuzzydaddy!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome.

Is this uncooked ground beef and uncooked rice?

Thanks for sharing this!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, both are uncooked before stuffing. I've added this and a few notes above.
      Last edited by fuzzydaddy; December 16, 2016, 09:00 AM.

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      I suspect uncooked. It would speed things up by pre-cooking for sure, but I don't think the flavors would develop much that way. This seem to be very close to a Dolma's recipe I have with the exception of using cabbage instead of grape leaves, and the meat as well.

Cabbage rolls are so good, thanks for this recipe. A version with presmoked ground beef would be dynamite.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      Or smoked pork butt.......

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Lots of meat possibilities!

Fuzzydaddy - thank you for sharing. I am definitely going to give this a try soon. It's really special to give out family recipes. I have an old friend who's mother gave his wife the family rib roast recipe. She passed on and he doesn't know his mother's "secret ingredients". His wife refuses to give it up to him or me, even though I gave him all the recipes I had for BBQ.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a few more family recipes we've recently been collecting and I'll share a few more.

Thanks for sharing. Normally I only prefer cabbage raw with a little salt sprinkled in it... Or when it is turned into slaw but this sounds interesting.

Comment

Thanks! What are "large" cans of soup, etc?

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Small soup cans (in my cabinet) are 11 to 12 oz, and other cans (veggies) are a few ounces more (14 to 16 oz). Large are the ones about twice the size of a small can. I've updated the recipe.

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        fuzzydaddy Thanks!

When I have some free time I just might have to give this a shot. Usually I just go the nearest Greek restaurant when have a hankering for cabbage rolls and order the dolmathes.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
        Shane Rakow commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to love Katie's up your way, but it changed hands after a lengthy shut-down. The Greek Islands seems to be ok for now.

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Loved Katie's and I really haven't had as much Greek since they shut down. The Greek Islands is good too, but I just don't think to go there for lunch.

Just like Grandma used to make it!

Comment

Sounds great! My Mother made a ground beef casserole version with the cabbage. Our tradition was cabbage for money in the New Year and blackeye pease for luck in the New Year. Still a tradition although I don't think it changes much. My blackeye peas have evolved into a hoppin john jambalaya.

Comment

Sounds Great fuzzydaddy . I will need to try this sometime.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here